1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrodinger equation for step potential

1. Nov 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the one-dimensional Schrodinger equation for the step potential, that is for U(x) = 0 for x<0, and gif.gif for gif.gif , gif.gif . Consider a particle with mass m and energy E < U. Assume the particle is initially at x<0.

a) Calculate the penetration depth Δx at which the probability density of the transmitted wave "decayed" to half the value that it has at x=0.

b) Apply your result of part a) to an electron inside a metal block for which the work function is 4 eV.

c) Apply your resilt of part a) to a "macroscopic" particle with mass m=10^-15 kg and velocity v=10^-2 m/sec. Assume a barrier height that is 1.5 as high as the kinetic energy of the particle.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea where start with this one, I have a clue on how to find the transmission and reflection probabilities but I am not sure this is relevant for finding Δx. In this question are we suppose to use the equation Δp Δx >= ħ/2π ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2015 #2
    The question does not ask you to calculate transmission probabilities. Just write down the form of the wave function for x > 0.

4. Nov 29, 2015 #3
    For x>0 I believe the wave function would be u(x) = Ae^(ikx)

5. Nov 29, 2015 #4
    So imaginary k will give you the decay. Adjust with a factor ln(2).

6. Nov 29, 2015 #5
    I don't quite understand what you mean by adjust by a factor of ln(2). Also still not seeing how k will help find penetration depth Δx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted