Any tools that can help find the equation for a set of data?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Data Set Tools
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 1K views
Haorong Wu
Messages
422
Reaction score
90
TL;DR
Are there any tools that can help me find the equation for a given set of data?
Suppose that I can generate the result of a function ## c_{x,y}=f(x,y)## by a method not involving the function ##f##. I need to find ##f(x,y)## now. The expression of ##f(x,y)## is expected to contain basic algebra operation (+-*/), power, absolute value and factorial.

I have tried to find it manually but failed (##f(x,y)## exists, I am sure). So are there any tools that can help?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Arjan82 said:
'regression analysis' is the term to search for. There are a plethora of methods to help you here.
Thanks, Arjan82. I have heard of it. But according to my memory, it may be mainly used to find linear or nonlinear relations or find coefficients when the basic form of the function is given. Could this be used when the function contains absolute value and factorial? I am still reading Wikipedia.