Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anybody know about it in detail?

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    anybody know about it in detail? :)

anybody know about it in detail? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2
    Re: shaft/axle/spline

What do you want to know about it?

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3

at the end of shaft/spline there is countersink,,it is important?

5. Oct 6, 2011 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to provide a bit more information; nobody will know what component, assembly, or countersink you are talking about.

What's the part? What's it used for? Where's the countersink? Do you have a drawing or picture?

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5

3688.jpg

7. Oct 6, 2011 #6

another things,it is true the spline angle mostly 30,37.5 and 45 degree?
    and how to measure the spline, pressure angle e.t.c...
    thank you,

8. Oct 6, 2011 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you're asking about the countersunk hole at the end of the splined shaft? It obviously serves a purpose, otherwise the manufacturer wouldn't have bothered machining it. Is there a spigot in the mating part which interacts with this?

Spline angles are indeed usually of a standard form, with 30 and 45 degree splines being pretty conventional. Which feature of the spline do you want to measure?

The following Wikipedia article should give you the information you need about pressure angles, just think of a splined shaft as being a gear. If you're still confused just come back and ask.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_angle

9. Oct 6, 2011 #8

thanks. I will came back,sure :)

10. Oct 6, 2011 #9

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That little dimple in the end of the shaft is called a centering index. It's used to center the shaft in the machine that makes it. It serves no purpose once the part is completely machined.

11. Oct 6, 2011 #10

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting, not seen that before.

12. Oct 6, 2011 #11

Actually I working at RnD department which is I need to do reverse engineering for spline. So I need to know exactly@proper way to measure the spline and also the tool that exactly been use to measure it.

Q_Goest..thank you, I already thinking of that but but I'm not so sure. :)

13. Oct 6, 2011 #12

The dimple DOES serve a purpose to the tech fixing your car/equipment/etc. Many times, the splines will rust or seize in the hub/bearing assembly (depending on the application, I'm mostly speaking from an automotive standpoint). When the time comes to take it apart for a repair the tech doesn't want to mushroom out the end of the shaft with a hammer (it will be more stuck) so instead, the easiest way is with an air hammer that has a pointed bit attached.

Such as this:
    31BOWbtCNkL.jpg

Stick that in the dimple, and it will push out like butter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook