Anybody know about these schools?

• Schools
  • Thread starter aeroeng212
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the conversation discussed the Aerospace Engineering programs at Virginia Tech and Penn State, and how they rank compared to other programs in the United States. The US News 2008 engineering rankings were referenced, with both schools being in the top 15 for aerospace engineering. The conversation also mentioned the importance of considering the cost and location of each school. A Penn State aerospace engineering student shared their experience with the curriculum and general education requirements.
aeroeng212
Hi-

I was wondering, does anybody know anything about the Aerospace Engineering programs at either Virginia Tech or Penn State (University Park Campus). Possibly anything about how they rank compared to other Aerospace Engineering Programs in the United States (or compared to each other)? As an aspiring aerospace engineer, I'm really not sure which one to attend (I'm planning on going in the fall this year for a Bachelors Degree). I greatly appreciate any information/insight on this topic.

Thanks!

-aeroeng212

Physics news on Phys.org
Got this from another thread...

user101 said:
I know they keep a list of the US News rankings for engineering schools http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/engineering-majors/382751-usnews-2008-engineering-ranking-compilation.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I would go to Penn State, but that's just my uneducated opinion about those schools.

Unfortunately, US News now only shows the top three schools in each category without buying a subscription. A list of the US News 2008 engineering rankings can be found here:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...ews-2008-engineering-ranking-compilation.html.

For aerospace engineering:
1 Massachusetts Inst. of Technology
2 Georgia Institute of Technology *
3 University of Michigan–Ann Arbor *
4 Stanford University (CA)
5 California Institute of Technology
6 Purdue Univ.–West Lafayette (IN)*
6 U. of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign *
8 Princeton University (NJ)
9 University of Texas–Austin *
10 Cornell University (NY)
10 Univ. of Maryland–College Park *
12 Texas A&M Univ.–College Station *
13 Pennsylvania State U.–University Park *
14 Virginia Tech *
15 University of Washington *
16 Univ. of California–Los Angeles *
16 Univ. of Southern California
16 University of Colorado–Boulder *

* denotes a public university

I am an aerospace engineering student at Penn State, so I don't know about the other schools on the list. But I can say that PSU has a good aerospace engineering program and a good co-op service. I could answer more specific questions about the department.

Of all the people I met from Virginia Tech, there no dummies. Smart guys.

Think about things like, what's this going to cost you. What kind of money the school is going to pay you, are you going to enjoy living there? Because both seem like very good schools, so to me it comes down to money. I don't think one over the other is going to be a HUGE difference worth busting your wallet for.

If we were talking about MIT vs. a public school, then yes. Obviously MIT, but I don't see this as the case here. You have two good options, which one is more reasonable economically for you and your family?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys!

Hey z-component,
At penn state, does an aerospace engineering student have to take lots of other non-engineering type classes (general education classes like social studies, or language studies/english, etc.), or do you get to relatively quickly jump into engineering classes?

The B.S. in Aerospace Engineering covers 27 of a required 45 credits in general education classes. Like other schools, you don't really get into aerospace engineering classes until junior year, and your engineering curriculum is much like all the other engineering ones for the first two years. You notice a deviation from other engineering students during the second year, with minor differences like which math and engineering mechanics courses you take.

So to answer your question, yes and no. Personally, I think we get into the material at a nice pace, neither too fast nor too slow. Also I think the amount of general education classes is very appropriate and they're just something to make you more diverse or whatever. You don't get to "jump right in" exactly, but you'll get into fun classes like vector calculus, differential equations, statics, dynamics, etc. by your second year if you're on track with the curriculum.

1. What are the top schools for science and technology?

The top schools for science and technology may vary depending on different factors such as location, program offerings, and research opportunities. Some top schools in this field include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, and California Institute of Technology (Caltech).

2. Are there any specialized schools for specific areas of science?

Yes, there are many specialized schools for specific areas of science such as engineering, computer science, biology, and chemistry. Some examples include Georgia Institute of Technology for engineering, Carnegie Mellon University for computer science, and Johns Hopkins University for biology.

3. How do I find information on a specific science school?

To find information on a specific science school, you can visit their official website or do a quick online search. You can also reach out to the school's admissions office for more detailed information.

4. Are there any highly ranked public schools for science?

Yes, there are many highly ranked public schools for science such as University of California, Berkeley, University of Michigan, and University of Texas at Austin. These schools offer top-notch science programs at a more affordable cost for in-state students.

5. What are some factors to consider when choosing a science school?

Some factors to consider when choosing a science school include program offerings, research opportunities and facilities, faculty expertise, location, cost, and overall reputation of the school. It is also important to consider your personal interests and career goals when making a decision.