Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anybody know how the x-zylo toy works? yours truly, physics noob

1. Apr 28, 2007 #1
    Hey surely you guys have heard of the x-zylo toy?

Its a toy that has been known to fly 200+ yards.

If you dont know about about it, do a google search on it.

How does it work?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2007 #2
    also, are there any equations for the aerodynamic force and such?

4. Apr 28, 2007 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Interesting technology. A sideways frisbee.

5. Apr 29, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The only thing that comes to mind is that it is a combination airfoil and gyro. The gyroscopic effects help to maintain it's longitudinal axis in the orientation it was in when it was thrown. The airfoil shape, I would think, would have the camber facing towards the center of rotation to produce a low pressure area in the center of the toy. It is a pretty cool idea. That site's video is impressive.

6. Apr 29, 2007 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes, in a nutshell, the gismo is an airfoil that is kept pointing in the right direction gyroscopically. Same principles as a frisbee, only the axis of rotation for gyroscopy is parallel to the angle of attack rather than perpendicular.

7. Apr 29, 2007 #6
    well, i knew about the gyro, but does the lowered air pressure pull the x-zylo forward or lift it? or both?

I have read somewhere that there is a special synergistic system going on between the gyro and air pressure that is still without general consensus.

8. Apr 29, 2007 #7
    The reason why i ask about whether its pulled or lifted is that in my aerodynamically novice head, the simple one-wing bernoulli diagram of lift is being applied at all parts of the cylinder, so the net force would be zero. So is the low pressure pulling it forward? please clarify.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?