Anyone else enjoy physics less after learning QM?

In summary, the speaker expresses their opinion that after learning quantum mechanics, they have lost interest in physics. They feel that QM is all about math and following procedures without truly understanding the concepts. They contrast this with classical mechanics and special relativity, where they feel they have a better understanding of what they are doing. The speaker wonders if anyone else feels the same way and questions if their lack of understanding is the cause. They end by stating that the more they delve into QM, the less sense their previous understanding of physics makes.
annms
Edit: Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum...I intended to post this in the Quantum Physics forum. Mods would you please move this post to the forum you see most appropriate.I am a newbie in learning quantum mechanics, so please view my opinion lightly:

After learning a bit of QM, I feel myself to enjoy physics much less than before. I feel QM is all about math and just solving equations without really knowing what exactly you're solving for and what exactly you're doing. It's like I'm just following a set of procedures without actually knowing what's going on.
In classical mechanics, everything was so beautifully simple and a lot of things work out very nicely, and you actually know what you're doing. Even in the less intuitive special relativity, you actually know what you're doing when you're doing your calculations. That's not really the case in QM.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or is it just me?
Maybe it's my lack of understanding QM, but I found I've really lost a lot of my interest in physics after starting learning quantum mechanics.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It just gets worse.

Although the further down the rabbit hole you go, the more that nice classical happy picture starts to make less and less actual sense.

1. How does learning quantum mechanics affect one's enjoyment of physics?

Learning quantum mechanics can have a significant impact on one's enjoyment of physics. Some people find it fascinating and even more exciting than classical physics, while others may struggle to understand its concepts and equations, leading to a decrease in enjoyment.

2. What are some reasons why someone may enjoy physics less after learning quantum mechanics?

One reason could be the abstract nature of quantum mechanics, which can be challenging to grasp and may not align with one's understanding of the physical world. Another reason could be the complexity of the mathematics involved, which can be intimidating for some individuals.

3. Are there any benefits to learning quantum mechanics in terms of understanding physics?

Yes, there are several benefits to learning quantum mechanics. It provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of the physical world, including the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It also helps explain phenomena that cannot be fully understood using classical physics.

4. Is it common for people to enjoy physics less after learning quantum mechanics?

It is subjective, and different individuals may have different reactions to learning quantum mechanics. Some may find it challenging but still enjoy it, while others may find it too challenging and lose interest. It is not uncommon for people to struggle with quantum mechanics, but it does not necessarily mean they will enjoy physics less.

5. How can one maintain their enjoyment of physics while learning quantum mechanics?

It is essential to have a positive attitude and approach towards learning quantum mechanics. It may also help to seek additional resources, such as books or online lectures, to supplement one's understanding. Finding a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also make the learning process more enjoyable and manageable.