Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone have a good example of an ester

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1
    i need help on figuring out how to combine the compounds and make them an ester, in other words i need help with esters,

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2007 #2
    check this out, say i have isomyl and i make it react with acetate, how will it look and what do i do to combine them and how do i write them out

4. Feb 2, 2007 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Feb 3, 2007 #4
    thanks man big time

6. Feb 3, 2007 #5
    I'm sure you already know plenty of examples of esters. Things that smell nice are a lot of times esters. Their carboxylic acid counterparts stink to high heaven though!!! A classic undergrad O chem experiment is taking something horrible like butyric acid and esterfying it to get something that smells nice.

7. Feb 20, 2007 #6
    Heh, we just did that lab in my ochem class. Unfortunately the product was an ugly solid that smelled 10 times as bad as the goat smelling caproic acid to begin with. Got to love when good labs go horribly wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?