1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone here with a physics Ph.D that specialized in Optics?

1. Dec 2, 2015 #1
    Hey everyone! I was wondering what the job prospects in academia and outside academia were like for people who have a physics Ph.D's specializing in optics? Were there a good number of STEM related choices or was it just as difficult as any other speciality? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2015 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm doing alright.

Having training in optics gave me (and continues to give me) an easy way to differentiate myself from other Physics PhDs. Also, I've found that a solid background in optics has allowed me to productively collaborate with a wide range of scientists and engineers.

To be sure, finding a 'decent job' (an ill-defined term, but...) is still hard.

4. Dec 2, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply! Have you mainly stuck to pure academia or have you also worked in the private sector after earning your PhD? I am in a tough spot right now, I will soon graduate with an EE and math degree plus physics minor and have been torn between going for a physics PhD or heading right into industry as an EE and studying physics as a hobby. So from your experience would you say that optics is just as competitive to land a long term research/academic position as any other physics speciality, essentially?

5. Dec 3, 2015 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I got out of academia after my PhD- my (engineering) friends all got jobs instead of grad school, I was jealous of their salaries, and didn't want to spend another few years in an underpaid postdoc position. After a few years, I missed being in a lab environment and worked my way back into academia (which is where I am now- recently tenured Physics prof).

I agree with your statement "optics is just as competitive to land a long term research/academic position as any other physics speciality", with the caveat that ultimately, you have to be excellent and your expertise relevant to what academia and/or industry is looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook