Job Prospects for Ph.D. Holders in Condensed Matter Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in experimental condensed matter physics with a focus on electrical and optical properties of materials and their applications in technology. They inquire about the job prospects in industry and the possibility of getting a post-doc position at a national lab from a second or third tier school. The speaker believes that physics Ph.D. holders will be valuable in the evolving technology industry and acknowledges the difficulty in obtaining a post-doc position from a non-tier 1 school. They also ask for others' experiences and predictions for the future.
DownAndOut
Hello, all.

I'm considering applying to Ph.D. programs in experimental condensed matter physics. My general research interests would be in the electrical and optical properties of materials, particularly semiconductors and nanostructures, and their applications to information and solar energy technologies. Specifically, in stuff like nanophotonics, optical circuits, memristors.

If I were to do this kind of research and earn this Ph.D. at second or third tier school, like UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz or the University of Oregon, what would my job prospects in industry be like? Also would it be possible to get a post-doc position at a national lab even if I didn't graduate from a tier-1 school (i.e. a place like Stanford, UC Berkeley etc.)?

I am under the impression that currently the job prospects in industry are decent, since the semiconductor industry (Intel, Micron Technology...) recruits physics Ph.D. holders. I'm also guessing that as these industries evolve, physics Ph.D. holders will be even more valuable since they'll be the ones who'll best understand new technologies like optical circuits as a result of their from-first-principles training.

Regarding post-doc prospects, I'm guessing that it's difficult to get a position at a National Lab unless you come from a tier-1 Ph.D. program, just based on the people I know who have worked at the them...

Anyway, what has your guys' experience been? What am I right about and what am I wrong about? What do you guys predict for the future?

If you've read this far, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The schools you listed as tier 2 and 3 are excellent schools.

For the other part, I don't really know.

What is the current job market like for Ph.D. holders in Condensed Matter Physics?

The job market for Ph.D. holders in Condensed Matter Physics is currently quite strong. According to a survey by the American Institute of Physics, 84% of recent Ph.D. graduates in this field found employment within 6 months of graduation.

What types of jobs are available for Ph.D. holders in Condensed Matter Physics?

Ph.D. holders in Condensed Matter Physics can pursue a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, industry, and government labs. They may also find employment in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and biophysics.

What skills are valued by employers when hiring Ph.D. holders in Condensed Matter Physics?

Employers look for candidates who possess strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They also value hands-on experience with experimental techniques, data analysis, and computer programming. Effective communication and teamwork abilities are also highly sought after.

What salary can Ph.D. holders in Condensed Matter Physics expect?

The average starting salary for Ph.D. holders in Condensed Matter Physics is around $70,000 per year. However, this can vary depending on the specific job, industry, and location. With experience and advancement, salaries can reach upwards of $100,000 per year.

Are there any other career opportunities for Ph.D. holders in Condensed Matter Physics besides research?

Yes, Ph.D. holders in Condensed Matter Physics can also pursue careers in teaching, consulting, science writing, and patent law. They may also transition into roles in data science, engineering, or finance. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained during a Ph.D. program are highly transferable to a variety of industries.