Anyone know any interesting facts/anecdotes about measuring equipment?

In summary: Here's an anecdote based on real life: One of my professors tried this one time, and the gages just kept jumping around erratically.
mathlete
I wasn't sure where to put this thread... if it's in the wrong place, please move it.

Anyways, I'm making a couple of posters for display and one of the showcases is featuing antique equipment like ohmmeters (Wheatstone bridge), ammeters, voltmeters, etc. I was wondering if anyone knew of any cool/quirky/interesting little facts about anything related to this subject that I could put into the poster? Almost anything will do. I just don't want to bore people by putting only V=IR stuff and how the innards work.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathlete said:
II was wondering if anyone knew of any cool/quirky/interesting little facts about anything related to this subject that I could put into the poster? Almost anything will do. I just don't want to bore people by putting only V=IR stuff and how the innards work.

Throw in the "string galvanometer" invented by Einthoven. A very sensitive meter movement using a mirror in place of the indicator needle. Used in the beginning of the last century to do ECG exams as electronic amplification was not possible.

GENIERE said:
Throw in the "string galvanometer" invented by Einthoven. A very sensitive meter movement using a mirror in place of the indicator needle. Used in the beginning of the last century to do ECG exams as electronic amplification was not possible.
This sounds like what we called a "Ballistic Galvanometer"

I'm an oldtimer who used both of those in my UG lab course.
The only difference for the ballistic galvonometer was that it had a large moment of inertia so it didin't move appreciably until the charge from a discharging capacitor had passed through.
What about the experiment of measuring with g using a microscope and a stop watch?

Here's an anecdote based on real life: Nothing ever works. Especially if the particular device hasn't been used recently.

1. What are the different types of measuring equipment?

There are several types of measuring equipment, including rulers, scales, thermometers, microscopes, and voltmeters. Each type is designed for a specific purpose and can measure different quantities such as length, weight, temperature, and voltage.

2. How accurate are measuring instruments?

The accuracy of measuring instruments can vary depending on the type and quality of the instrument. Generally, the more precise the instrument, the more accurate the measurements will be. However, all measuring instruments have a margin of error, so it is important to use them correctly and consider this margin when interpreting the results.

3. What is calibration and why is it important for measuring equipment?

Calibration is the process of adjusting and verifying the accuracy of a measuring instrument by comparing its measurements to a known standard. It is important for measuring equipment because it ensures that the instrument is giving accurate and reliable measurements. Regular calibration is necessary to maintain the accuracy of the instrument over time.

4. Can measuring equipment be used for different units of measurement?

Some measuring equipment, such as rulers and scales, can be used for different units of measurement. For example, a ruler can be used to measure both inches and centimeters. However, other equipment, like thermometers and voltmeters, are designed for specific units and cannot be used for different units of measurement.

5. How has measuring equipment evolved over time?

Measuring equipment has evolved significantly over time, with advancements in technology and science. For example, early measuring instruments were often based on human perception, such as using the length of a finger as a unit of measurement. Today, we have highly precise and automated instruments that can measure with accuracy down to nanometers. Additionally, there is now a wide range of specialized measuring equipment for different industries, making measurements more efficient and accurate.