Anyone Know of Descriptive Stock Market Books?

• News
  • Thread starter tedbradly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in finding books on various topics related to trading and investing in stocks. They are looking for books on how to keep a portfolio and trade stocks, how to backtest a trading strategy, measures of risk and performance, and common trading strategies. The conversation also mentions two recommended books, "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham and "A Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets" by John Murphy.
tedbradly
I have 4 types of books I'm interested in finding:

I want a book on how to keep a portfolio, how trading actually takes place, the different avenues to head down to complete a trade (their costs, advantages, and disadvantages), and so on. I sort of want a book on literally HOW to trade stocks -- not on how to pick (supposedly) profitable stocks [which is commonly phrased 'how to trade stocks'].

I'm also looking for a solid book on how to backtest a stock trading strategy. One that details what assumptions tend to be valid during simulation and how to align best your simulated results with reality as well as a disposition on common pitfalls of coded market simulators.

A book on measures of risk/performance for a stock strategy [that has been traded or simulated]. 2 & 3 could possibly be in a single book, I assume.

Last and least important, a good book on common trading strategies and why they (used to) work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize for the double-post, but my browser isn't responding to the "save" when I clicked edit.

It would be awesome if #1 also detailed other real life considerations when trading stocks such as taxes etc.

There is the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham and A Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets by John Murphy. Not quite sure if it is what you are looking for, but they have some great information.

khemist said:
There is the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham and A Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets by John Murphy. Not quite sure if it is what you are looking for, but they have some great information.

Nice! These are the types of books I'm in search of, and it shows why a forum can often trump searching Google or Amazon.

From reading the descriptions, it seems your second fulfills my fourth (and possibly third) and your first at least a bit fulfills my first (and possibly my third and fourth).

Thanks!

1. "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham - This classic book covers the fundamentals of portfolio management and the practical aspects of trading stocks, including costs and different avenues for trading.

2. "Quantitative Trading: How to Build Your Own Algorithmic Trading Business" by Ernie Chan - This book provides a comprehensive guide to backtesting strategies and includes discussions on assumptions and pitfalls to be aware of.

3. "The Handbook of Portfolio Mathematics: Formulas for Optimal Allocation & Leverage" by Ralph Vince - This book delves into the mathematical aspects of measuring risk and performance in stock strategies.

4. "Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders" by Jack D. Schwager - This book offers insights into the strategies used by successful traders and the reasons behind their success. It also discusses the importance of adapting to changing market conditions.

1. What is a descriptive stock market book?

A descriptive stock market book is a type of literature that provides an overview and detailed description of the stock market, including its history, key players, terminology, and major trends. These books aim to educate readers about the stock market and its workings, rather than providing specific investment advice.

2. Why should I read a descriptive stock market book?

Reading a descriptive stock market book can help you gain a better understanding of how the stock market works and how to navigate it effectively. It can also provide valuable insights into market trends and strategies used by successful investors.

3. Are descriptive stock market books suitable for beginners?

Yes, descriptive stock market books are a great resource for beginners as they provide an introduction to the basics of the stock market in an easy-to-understand format. They can help new investors build a foundation of knowledge and confidence before making investment decisions.

4. Can I find specific information about stocks in a descriptive stock market book?

While descriptive stock market books may mention specific stocks as examples, their main focus is on providing general information about the stock market as a whole. If you are looking for detailed information about specific stocks, it is best to consult a different source, such as a financial news website or investment research platform.

5. Are there any recommended descriptive stock market books?

There are many great descriptive stock market books available, and the best one for you will depend on your personal preferences and goals. Some popular titles include "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" by Burton Malkiel, "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham, and "One Up On Wall Street" by Peter Lynch.