Anyone know where I can get some phosphors?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for Chromium doped Ruby spheres or powder form to build fiber optic temperature probes for their masters thesis. They are having trouble finding the material except in liquid form. They inquire about other possible materials and eventually find a supplier after 7 hours of searching.
Topher925
This is a bit random, but does anyone have any idea where I can get some Chromium doped Ruby spheres (Cr:Al2O3) or maybe just powder form? I need to build some fiber optic temperature probes for part of my masters thesis but I can't find this stuff anywhere except in liquid form. Apparently, its a cheap and commercially available material as its suppose to be used for lasers but I can't find it anywhere. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't absolutely have to be that material but it does need to be something with similar atomic structure and/or fluorescent properties.

Never mind, after 7 hours of searching I found a supplier!

Meller Optics if anyone cares.
http://www.melleroptics.com/news_item.asp?news_id=28

1. What are phosphors used for?

Phosphors are used in a variety of applications, including fluorescent lighting, television screens, and computer monitors. They are also used in medical imaging, such as X-ray imaging, and in some types of lasers.

2. Where can I find phosphors?

Phosphors can be found in specialized stores that sell electronic components, as well as online through various retailers and manufacturers. They may also be available through industrial suppliers or directly from manufacturers.

3. What are the different types of phosphors?

There are several different types of phosphors, including inorganic phosphors (such as zinc sulfide and yttrium oxide) and organic phosphors (such as fluorescein and rhodamine). Each type has different properties and is used for different applications.

4. How are phosphors made?

Phosphors are typically made by mixing a phosphor material with a binder and then shaping it into the desired form, such as a powder or a film. The mixture is then heated to a high temperature to activate the phosphor and create the desired emission properties.

5. Are phosphors safe to handle?

Most phosphors are safe to handle, but some may have toxicity concerns. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling phosphors, such as wearing gloves and a mask, and disposing of them properly according to manufacturer instructions.