Did You Know 1967 Was a Year of Strange Days?

• Thread starter 1oldman2
  • Start date
In summary: There%27d_Be_Days_Like_TheseIn summary, an Australian geologist sued the US Park Service after it rejected his request to collect samples from a national park.
1oldman2
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/creationist-geologist-sues-us-park-service-after-it-rejects-request-collect-samples?utm_campaign=news_weekly_2017-06-30&et_rid=281473709&et_cid=1415265

Likes OmCheeto, QuantumQuest and davenn
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
1oldman2 said:
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/creationist-geologist-sues-us-park-service-after-it-rejects-request-collect-samples?utm_campaign=news_weekly_2017-06-30&et_rid=281473709&et_cid=1415265
Well, ##4,300 \pm 76,000,000\; yrs## ... and he is right ...

Laramidia+credit+Ron+Blakey+NAU+Geology.jpg

Likes davenn and 1oldman2
fresh_42 said:
Well, ##4,300 \pm 76,000,000\; yrs## ... and he is right ...

View attachment 206390
The political twist is almost as amusing as the religious aspect.

Likes davenn
1oldman2 said:
The political twist is almost as amusing as the religious aspect.
The guy in the article is an Australian. Someone should warn the guards at Uluru!

Last edited:
Likes davenn
fresh_42 said:
how is the general rule in the US?
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r3/recreation/regulations/?cid=fsbdev3_022266
If on the other hand you wanted to collect specimens from a national Park/Monument such as White Sands its a little more regulated.
(Your White Sands piece doesn't happen to be http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2451.2010.00767.x/full does it?
Also an interesting article here. https://arstechnica.com/staff/2014/...-buried-in-new-mexico-before-the-atari-games/

fresh_42 said:
Does this get me on the no-fly or even travel-ban list?
Not this week but no guarantees about next week. :sorry:

fresh_42 said:
the political part is far more dangerous than funny.
I concur.

fresh_42 said:
Someone should warn the guards at Uluru!
I believe the natives have that covered.

For the sake of thread continuity, I should mention that post #5 was posted by accident and is quoting an edited post. sorry for any confusion. :sorry:

1oldman2 said:
For the sake of thread continuity, I should mention that post #5 was posted by accident and is quoting an edited post. sorry for any confusion. :sorry:
My fault. I realized a bit late that it might have been too political, which I wasn't intending. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to draw the line between making fun of politics and actually discussing it. The thread by nature sails close to the wind w.r.t. religion and politics.

Likes BillTre and 1oldman2
fresh_42 said:
My fault. I realized a bit late that it might have been too political, which I wasn't intending. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to draw the line between making fun of politics and actually discussing it. The thread by nature sails close to the wind w.r.t. religion and politics.
:ok:

It's a cult . Cults prey on the naive, search ' Kent Hovind '.

Likes 1oldman2
jim hardy said:
It's a cult . Cults prey on the naive, search ' Kent Hovind '.
Agreed, After reading on Kent, it appears the naive are about all he could prey on. Strange days we are living in.

Likes OmCheeto
1oldman2 said:
Agreed, After reading on Kent, it appears the naive are about all he could prey on. Strange days we are living in.
"Strange days, indeed"
--- John Lennon ≈1980​

hmmm... (google google google)

per wiki; "The line "Nobody told me there'd be days like these...strange days indeed...most peculiar, mama" is in contrast to the old adage "My mother told me there'd be days like this.""

My mother never told me there'd be days like these. :oldgrumpy:
But mom's are like that. Always a stiff upper lip, even when they aren't British.

hmmm... ?

wiki: Stiff upper lip
One who has a stiff upper lip displays fortitude in the face of adversity, or exercises great self-restraint in the expression of emotion. The phrase is most commonly heard as part of the idiom "keep a stiff upper lip", and has traditionally been used to describe an attribute of British people in remaining resolute and unemotional in the face of adversity. A sign of weakness is trembling of the upper lip, hence the saying keep a stiff upper lip. When a person's upper lip begins to tremble, it is one of the first signs that the person is scared or shaken by experiencing deep emotion.

Likes 1oldman2
OmCheeto said:
"Strange days, indeed"
--- John Lennon ≈1980
Lol, wrong year, and wrong song...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldtongue:
1oldman2 said:
Strange days we are living in.
The strange days, were even stranger... in 1967.

Likes 1oldman2
OmCheeto said:
My mother never told me there'd be days like these. :oldgrumpy:
My mother did, she also told me to ...

Related to Did You Know 1967 Was a Year of Strange Days?

1. What is the purpose of "Anyone need a good laugh?"

The purpose of "Anyone need a good laugh?" is to bring joy and laughter to those who are feeling down or stressed. It serves as a reminder to not take life too seriously and to find humor in everyday situations.

2. Is laughter actually beneficial for our health?

Yes, laughter has many health benefits such as reducing stress hormones, boosting the immune system, and releasing feel-good endorphins. It can also improve blood flow and decrease blood pressure, leading to a healthier heart.

3. Can anyone learn to have a good sense of humor?

Yes, having a good sense of humor can be learned and developed over time. It involves being able to find humor in different situations and not taking yourself too seriously. Practicing positivity and finding the funny side of things can help improve your sense of humor.

4. How can I make others laugh?

One way to make others laugh is by using humor that is relatable and appropriate for the situation. You can also try using funny stories or jokes, or simply being yourself and letting your natural sense of humor shine through.

5. Are there any risks associated with using humor for laughter?

While laughter is generally considered beneficial, using humor inappropriately or at the expense of others can have negative consequences. It's important to be mindful and respectful of others when using humor and to avoid causing harm or offense.