Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anything weird happen to you lately?

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    Over here:
    The tutor started writing all over my math book in pen to demonstrate a problem! Why would a tutor do that? Especially to a perfectly clean new unmarked book that you may want to sell.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What an ***.

Take the cost of the book out of his pay.

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    Some people like to write in books. I don't. I write on paper and throw everything out in the garbage when day ends. But, I do like writings on the margins particularly if they are written by someone intelligent.

I remember once going through a really old library book that was filled with writings on the margins. All comments were very helpful understanding the material. However, I noticed at one point I knew something better than what was written in the margin. So, I added a small line something along the lines, "refer to ..."

5. Oct 9, 2011 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Oct 9, 2011 #5
    I would have them replace your book.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #6
    I love these "do something you might not have any authority or power to do" responses.

8. Oct 9, 2011 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Why would he not have the authority?

9. Oct 9, 2011 #8
    What are the odds that whomever you sell the book to will check every page for writing?

10. Oct 10, 2011 #9
    When I was a student in college, I had no control over the pay of the tutors. I guess he could be referring to a private tutor, or he could be the professor in charge of a school tutor's pay.

TS, what exactly is your situation? Have you hired this tutor?

11. Oct 10, 2011 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

So you're criticizing comments you have no reason to assume are in error.

You just committed the very offense you were so quick to deride.

Which I love.

12. Oct 10, 2011 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A few months ago, I lent a text to a student. After he returned it, I found that he had written in pen on many pages. Why would a student do this to an instructor's book?

13. Oct 10, 2011 #12
    I think a better questions would be :
    Why would an instructor loan a student one of his books?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  14. Oct 10, 2011 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Now now, George is a people too...

:biggrin:

15. Oct 10, 2011 #14
    Sorry...

16. Oct 10, 2011 #15

S_Happens

Gold Member

I've had instructors loan me books before. Last spring when I was retaking calculus 2 (as a refresher) my instructor lent me a book to go over power series. Our book was abysmal, I was a good student who did all the homework, showed up during her help hours whether I had questions or not (I was working on homework), had great grades, and expressed an interest for more information where I was weak.

I'm one of those people who always respects the property of others, so I could support loaning to myself. I also consider most people to be disrespectful idiots, so I doubt I could ever be the person loaning a book out. That would just be stupid. :P

17. Oct 10, 2011 #16
    Why didn't you yell, "stop!" That's what I do when someone writes on my papers. Then I hand them a new sheet of paper and let them write whatever they want.

18. Oct 11, 2011 #17
    That's just not on. Regardless if you wish to sell it or not, they have no right to start writing on your book.

19. Oct 13, 2011 #18
    Accountancy exams. I was wondering what happened to my life. I go from studying physics, math, chemistry to accounts. Debit. Credit. Golden rules. Who am I? :p

20. Oct 13, 2011 #19

FlexGunship

Gold Member

He's not a real tutor, he's a representative from the text book companies trying to reduce the resale market and drive sales of new product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook