1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AP Calculus AB vs AP Calculus BC Exams?

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I was wondering if I should take the AP Calculus AB exam first or just take the AP Calculus BC exam. I am currently learning AP Calculus BC and my friends say that you have to take both in order to get college credit for both (I'm skeptical of this). Since AP Calculus BC covers the same exact topics in AP Calculus AB and some additional topics, would taking AP Calculus BC exam also give me credit for AP Calculus AB?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

IGU

Your friends are wrong.

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3
    So AP Calculus BC can cover college credit for AP Calculus AB?

5. Feb 16, 2015 #4

IGU

Go look at the College Board web site if you want to understand what the tests are about. If you go to Caltech you won't get any "credit" for either one. Other schools will want you to take a test of theirs and won't give you credit unless you actually understand the material (a completely different thing from getting some score on a test). And other places will give you credit for either.

If you know any colleges you are interested in, go look at their web sites and see what they say about math placement and credit.

6. Feb 16, 2015 #5
    @IGU Do you know if the test has proving limits by epsilon-delta method? Because the topic outline only mentioned as "An intuitive understanding of the limiting process."

7. Feb 17, 2015 #6

IGU

My memory is that AP calculus doesn't involve proving anything. But these things change, so you should check a current College Board study guide.

8. Feb 17, 2015 #7
    Yes, that's what I asked. The topic outline for AP Calculus AB said there are limits but it didn't say anything about proving limits with epsilon-delta and my textbook has it.

9. Feb 17, 2015 #8

IGU

A topic outline is not a study guide. Find something with details if you want to know this.

I know you're just asking about the test here, but I'll admit that I always advise actually learning the subject properly rather than just doing what's required for some test. You would be much better off learning calculus rather than "learning AP Calculus BC". Sure, there's no harm in knowing what the test covers so you can make sure you don't miss anything you need to know in order to do well, but don't let it set limits to what you learn.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook