AP class didn't run this year for my school

In summary, the speaker is concerned about their university application competitiveness level due to not being able to take AP Physics 11. They are considering self-studying for the AP exam and seeking advice from others. The expert advises that self-studying for an AP exam is feasible, and finding a teacher for assistance is recommended. It is also mentioned that universities consider the classes offered at the student's school when evaluating transcripts.
Zack K
Hey guys and gals. So it's the end of the school year and I chose one of my courses to be AP physics 11 since physics is the career I want to pursue. Unfortunately the course didn't run because not enough people signed up and it's freaking me out. Should I take the May AP exam and self study this challenging course online? And if I don't, will it affect my university application competitiveness level.(By the way I am still talking normal physics 11 for next year). Advice would be amazing. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Self study for an AP is perfectly feasible. More so, if you can find a teacher to provide some assistance and reality check. However, even if not, it is possible. As to the current state of university competitiveness, I have no idea (I started college in 1971, and left academia before 1975).

[I took the BC calculus AP exam in 11th grade without even officially completing trig (let alone pre-calc or calc), and got a 5 on it, purely via self study, mostly done in 10th grade].

Last edited:
Likes Zack K
They usually say that they look at the classes on your transcript in the context of your school. So if your school doesn't have this course, they won't hold it against you.

Likes Zack K

1. Why wasn't the AP class offered this year?

The decision to offer AP classes is made by the school administration based on a number of factors, including student interest, teacher availability, and budget constraints. It is possible that one or more of these factors led to the class not being offered this year.

2. Will the AP class be offered next year?

It is difficult to predict whether the AP class will be offered next year. The decision ultimately rests with the school administration, but if there is enough student interest and resources available, it is possible that the class will be offered again.

3. Can I take the AP exam even though the class wasn't offered?

Yes, you can still take the AP exam even if the class was not offered at your school. You will need to self-study and prepare for the exam on your own, but it is possible to still take the exam and potentially earn college credit.

4. Will not taking the AP class affect my college applications?

Not taking an AP class will not necessarily affect your college applications. Colleges understand that not all schools offer the same courses and opportunities. However, if you are interested in a particular AP class and it was not offered at your school, you can mention this in your college applications to show your interest and initiative in pursuing challenging coursework.

5. Is there anything I can do to help get the AP class offered at my school in the future?

Yes, you can speak to your school administration and express your interest in taking the AP class. You can also gather support from other students who are interested in the class and present a petition to the administration. Additionally, you can reach out to your school district and advocate for the addition of the AP class in future years.