AP Linear Algebra would you think it's a good idea

In summary, Linear Algebra is a versatile course that can benefit students in various fields, including pure math. However, the implementation of an AP version of the class may not be the best solution as it may not provide the same level of expertise and preparation as college-level courses. Additionally, some high schools already offer the option to take Linear Algebra through dual enrollment.
xdrgnh
One of the math classes I wasn't able to take in High School but wanted to take was Linear Algebra. Linear Algebra is has many uses like analyzing vectors or solving complicated systems of linear equations. Also for those students who want to go into pure math Linear Algebra can be a very good introduction to rigorous math. Because of all of the uses and flexibility a Linear Algebra coarse can constitute I think it would be a good idea for the college board to make a AP version of the class. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear algebra is a good course for high school. But the AP program is a harmful influence on college education, substituting amateur instruction from high school for expert instruction in college.

I.e. AP courses are misnomers, since they provide at best somewhat better preparation for good college classes and almost never qualify to substitute for them.So your suggestion is a good one, but it rubs against my sore spot as to the misguided AP program.

Many high schools (in america) you have the opportunity to take LA via duel enrollment! That is case at my high school, and others in the school district.

1. Is AP Linear Algebra a difficult course to take?

It depends on the individual and their background in math. Some may find it challenging, while others may find it manageable.

2. Will taking AP Linear Algebra benefit me in the future?

Yes, taking AP Linear Algebra can be beneficial for those pursuing a career in fields such as engineering, computer science, economics, and more.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in math to take AP Linear Algebra?

Having a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is recommended before taking AP Linear Algebra, but it is not always required.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying for AP Linear Algebra?

The amount of time needed to study for AP Linear Algebra varies from person to person. It is recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours a day reviewing material and practicing problems.

5. Will taking AP Linear Algebra help me get into a good college?

Taking AP Linear Algebra can demonstrate to colleges that you have a strong understanding of advanced math concepts and can handle challenging coursework, which can make you a competitive candidate for admission.