1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apostol's Calculus Vol.1 10.20 #20

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine (absolute/conditional) convergence or divergence of the series
    [itex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^n \left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\text{arctan}({\log{n}})\right)[/itex]​

3. The attempt at a solution
    It is easy to see that the series is (conditionally) convergent by Leibniz's rule, but I am not sure how to deny the absolute convergence of the series. To use the comparison test, I must show, for example,
    [itex]f(x) = \displaystyle\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\text{arctan}(\log{x})\right) - \frac{1}{x} > 0[/itex]​
    for all [itex]x \geq 1[/itex], which seems quite difficult (in fact, I have no idea how to prove it). Is there any other, better way to show that the series is not absolutely convergent?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2
    Keep in mind
    [itex]\arctan(1/x)=sgn(x)\pi/2 - \arctan(x) [/itex]

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply! I think the problem now becomes manageable.
    Let [itex]a_n = \arctan(1/\log{n})[/itex] and [itex]b_n = 1/\log{n}[/itex]. Then, we have, with using l'Hôpital's rule,
    [itex] \displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_n}{b_n}
    = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{a_n'}{b_n'}
    = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{ \frac{1}{1 + 1/(\log{n})^2}\cdot (1/\log{n})' }{(1/\log{n})'}
    = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1}{1 + 1/(\log{n})^2} = 1.[/itex]​
    Since [itex]\sum b_n = \sum (1/\log{n})[/itex] diverges, by the limit comparison test, [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] also diverges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook