1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apostol's Mathematical Analysis 1.6

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that every nonempty set of positive integers contains a smallest member. This is called the well-ordering principle.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm just starting out with analysis, so I'm not too sure about the format of proofs. Here goes:

Proof. First suppose the set S of positive integers is finite. Then assume S contains no smallest member. It follows that for every x in S, there exists an infinite number of members of S less than x. This contradicts our assumption that S is finite. Thus every finite set of integers contains a smallest member.

Any help/critique is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What properties of positive integers do you have to work with?

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    Sorry for the late reply. I have the definition of an inductive set and the definition of a positive integer: a real number which belongs to every inductive set.

5. Apr 4, 2009 #4
    Oh, also some of the field axioms for real numbers:
    1. Exactly one of the relations x = y, x < y, x > y holds.
    2. If x > y and y > z, then x > z.

6. Apr 4, 2009 #5
    So, for the non-empty set S of positive integers, one of the relations x < y or x > y holds between any two members. This means that each member in S is greater than or less than each of the other members. Also, if some member x of S is less than some member y, and y is less than some member z, then x is less than z. It follows that there is a member less than every other member in S.

Is this clear enough? Intuitively, I see why the theorem is true, but I don't think I present my thoughts very rigorously.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook