Using Apostol as my first calculus book?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach for learning calculus, particularly in relation to using Apostol's Calculus Vol.1 as a first book. Suggestions are given to first work through other introductory calculus textbooks such as Thomas Calculus 3rd e. and to also study books on proof-teaching and naive set theory. The conversation also mentions alternative books for learning calculus, including Serge Lang's "A First Course in Calculus" and Allendoerfer/Oakley's "Principles of Mathematics" and "Fundamentals of Freshman mathematics."
Franco_Carr14
Hello, I'm currently learning pre calculus from various sources. I'm preparing myself to hopefully be able to learn calculus which I feel is an essential tool for Physics. I've just purchased Apostol's Calculus Vol.1. Enough research for great introductory calculus textbooks brought me to Apostol. But recently I've discovered another great book that is talked about in this forum, Thomas Calculus 3rd e. My question is, is it a good idea to use Apostol calculus without any exposure to former calculus material, other than precalculus material? Will the rigor of Apostol benefit me as it will expand my comfort zone? Or should I first use Thomas Calculus 3rd e. to be able to learn the most from Apostol's? Thank you..

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest working from Thomas 3rd ed and buying 2 other books. How to Prove it and Naive Set Theory. Then after working out of thomas and completing the equivalent of calculus 2. Work on Apostol. Just my opinion.

Likes Franco_Carr14
MidgetDwarf said:
I would suggest working from Thomas 3rd ed and buying 2 other books. How to Prove it and Naive Set Theory. Then after working out of thomas and completing the equivalent of calculus 2. Work on Apostol. Just my opinion.
Thats a great suggestion! Also can you please provide a link for the Naive Set Theory book you were referring to. Thank you so much for the help!

"Naive Set Theory" by Paul Halmos. Incredibly fascinating book on the set theory. This is the book you want to start to learn the set theory before jumping into well-regarded texts like Jech. Also regarding to the proof-teaching book Mr. MidgetDwarf mentioned, "How to Prove It", I actually recommend "Mathematical Proofs" by Chartrand.

Likes Franco_Carr14
bacte2013 said:
"Naive Set Theory" by Paul Halmos. Incredibly fascinating book on the set theory. This is the book you want to start to learn the set theory before jumping into well-regarded texts like Jech. Also regarding to the proof-teaching book Mr. MidgetDwarf mentioned, "How to Prove It", I actually recommend "Mathematical Proofs" by Chartrand.
It I crazy. I have been reading the Chartrand book and didn't even know it. I have an older ed green book. It reads like a conventional textbook compared to how to prove it. How to prove it is more talkative.

Franco_Carr14 said:
Hello, I'm currently learning pre calculus from various sources. I'm preparing myself to hopefully be able to learn calculus which I feel is an essential tool for Physics. I've just purchased Apostol's Calculus Vol.1. Enough research for great introductory calculus textbooks brought me to Apostol. But recently I've discovered another great book that is talked about in this forum, Thomas Calculus 3rd e. My question is, is it a good idea to use Apostol calculus without any exposure to former calculus material, other than precalculus material? Will the rigor of Apostol benefit me as it will expand my comfort zone? Or should I first use Thomas Calculus 3rd e. to be able to learn the most from Apostol's? Thank you..

No, doing Apostol as very first calculus book is not a good idea. Don't get me wrong, Apostol is an absolutely beautiful book that you must work through. But without experience, it is just too difficult.
I'm not really fond of Thomas as a calculus book but apparently many people like it. For a first book, I like to recommend the free and nonstandard book by Keisler: https://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html

Likes Franco_Carr14
Before reading Apostol, how about "A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang? The book is relatively straightforward and clear, which you can finish by month or so. "Principles of Mathematics" and "Fundamentals of Freshman mathematics" by Allendoerfer/Oakley also offer very intuitive treatment of the integration and differentiation.

MidgetDwarf said:
It I crazy. I have been reading the Chartrand book and didn't even know it. I have an older ed green book. It reads like a conventional textbook compared to how to prove it. How to prove it is more talkative.
I prefer Chartrand over Velleman. Although Velleman is more fun to read, I think Chartrand's book is very instructional and offering many insightful advice about proofs and reasoning behind the proofs and logical steps. His chapters on the linear algebra, group theory, and ring theory were good preparation before advancing into Artin and Hoffman/Kunze.

1. What is Apostol and why is it recommended as a first calculus book?

Apostol is a calculus textbook written by mathematician Tom Apostol. It is recommended as a first calculus book because it provides a rigorous and comprehensive introduction to the subject, covering all the necessary topics and providing challenging exercises to develop strong problem-solving skills.

2. Is Apostol suitable for beginners with no prior knowledge of calculus?

Yes, Apostol is suitable for beginners with no prior knowledge of calculus. The book starts with basic concepts and builds upon them gradually, making it accessible for students at all levels.

3. How does Apostol differ from other calculus textbooks?

Apostol differs from other calculus textbooks in its approach to teaching the subject. It focuses on developing a deep understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles, rather than just memorizing formulas and procedures.

4. Are there any resources available to supplement Apostol as a first calculus book?

Yes, there are various online resources available to supplement Apostol as a first calculus book. This includes lecture notes, video lectures, and practice problems with solutions.

5. Is Apostol still relevant in today's mathematics education?

Yes, Apostol is still highly relevant in today's mathematics education. It is a classic textbook that has stood the test of time and continues to be used in many universities and colleges. Its clear explanations and challenging exercises make it a valuable resource for students learning calculus.