Apparent Magnitude of Sun at 8000 Parsecs from Galactic Center

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Toad
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
The extinction to our galactic center is about Av=20mag. What would be the apparent magnitude of our sun at the 8000parsec distance of the galactic center?

From what I know, I think I need to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_magnitude#Computation the luminosity-distance formula. So I'd have m=20mag+5*(log(8000)-1) . Is this correct, am I missing something, or am I going at this totally wrong?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Toad said:
From what I know, I think I need to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_magnitude#Computation the luminosity-distance formula. So I'd have m=20mag+5*(log(8000)-1) . Is this correct, am I missing something, or am I going at this totally wrong?

Close, but not quite. What would the sun's apparent magnitude be at that distance if there were no extinction?