Radial Velocity of the Sun around Galactic Centre

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
anyaxo
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I need to calculate the radial velocity of the sun. Every time I try using Newton's Laws of Gravitation, I end up getting a value of 0.733 m/s. Apparently the actual value is 220000 m/s.

Mass of Sun = 1.99 x 10^30 kg (3sf)
G = 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2kg^-2
r = distance of Sun from galactic centre = 8.0 kpc = 2.47 x 10^20 m

mv^2/r = -GMm/r^2
v^2 = GM/r

v^2 = (6.67 x 10^-11 (1.99 x 10^30))/(2.47 x 10^20)
= 0.537...
v = 0.733 m/s (3sf)

What am I doing wrong?! This is driving me insane.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
since sun is rotating around the center of the galaxy, m would be the mass of the sun.
it gets canceled here. so M is actually mass of the galaxy and not the sun.