1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Apparently easy but super frustrating question about Boyle's Law

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay... everywhere i look, it keeps talking about Boyle's Law applied to THE SAME gas! It's so frustrating and retarded! I get it, p1V1 = p2V2. Yay... I didn't even need to look THAT up!

But my question is, how do you compare 2 different (ideal) gases?? It seems like such an obvious problem to address, but google searching just yields pages and pages of what I said above, rather than addressing this... Grr. Anyway, if I have 2 different containers of gasses, and they're in thermal contact, how do I work with Boyle's Law? (This is for my thermodynamics course.)

My book says that Boyle's Law together with Avagdro's Law implies that p/n is the same for all ideal gases (where n is particle density, N/V). But this is completely NOT obvious to me. How do I prove this? Is it supposed to be intuitive??

Specifically, my example problem asks this... you have nitrogen at 1.26 kg/m^3 at pressure 1 bar and helium at 0.36 kg/m^3 at pressure 2 bar. Molecular weight of nitrogen = 28 and of helium = 4. Are the two gases in thermal equilibrium?

2. Relevant equations

pV = k

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, the solution is already given in the book (since it's a sample problem), but it doesn't explain why p/n is the same for all gases at same temperature -- it just states it as if it's obvious or something -- and I don't see why that necessarily is obvious, so... how do I prove that it is true? And am I the only one to whom this is not intuitive??

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is characteristic of ideal gas? Or what are assumptions of kinetic theory of gases?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook