Question about Ideal gas law and its application

In summary: For example, if you are in Denver, CO, the barometric pressure might be P_total = 82.51 kPa. Then p_N2 = 0.80 * 82.51 kPa = 66.01 kPa. (I trust you can determine the answer in atm, given the partial pressure of N2 in kPa).In summary, to estimate the partial pressure of nitrogen in atm in a room, we can use the ideal gas approximation and the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT. Knowing that air is composed of 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen, we can calculate the partial pressure of nitrogen by taking a percentage of the total pressure in the room.
A330NEO

Homework Statement

Estimate partial pressure of nitrogen in atm in a room where you are at this moment. Use an ideal gas approximation and assume that air is composed of only nitrogen and oxygen. Show how you arrive the final answer in detail.

Homework Equations

pv=RT, while p stands for pressure, v stands for specific volume([itex]m^3/kg[/itex]), T stands for temperature(K) and R stands for gas constant(kJ/Kg*K). R for Air is 0.2870, Nitrogen it is 0.2968, and for oxygen it's 0.2598.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, by volume, air is 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. This information is considered essential to find out what is the partial temperature of nitrogen is.
My room's temperature is 21 degrees celcius, so Kelvin temperature is about 294.15K. So, in the equation pv=RT, RT = 0.2870*294.15 = 84.42105. I wanted to find out what is specific volume of air as ideal gas so that I can find out what the pressure is, but I wasn't able to. I made several attempts, but I wasn't able to go further. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
A330NEO said:

Homework Statement

Estimate partial pressure of nitrogen in atm in a room where you are at this moment. Use an ideal gas approximation and assume that air is composed of only nitrogen and oxygen. Show how you arrive the final answer in detail.

Homework Equations

pv=RT, while p stands for pressure, v stands for specific volume([itex]m^3/kg[/itex]), T stands for temperature(K) and R stands for gas constant(kJ/Kg*K). R for Air is 0.2870, Nitrogen it is 0.2968, and for oxygen it's 0.2598.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, by volume, air is 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. This information is considered essential to find out what is the partial temperature of nitrogen is.
My room's temperature is 21 degrees celcius, so Kelvin temperature is about 294.15K. So, in the equation pv=RT, RT = 0.2870*294.15 = 84.42105. I wanted to find out what is specific volume of air as ideal gas so that I can find out what the pressure is, but I wasn't able to. I made several attempts, but I wasn't able to go further. [/B]

There are many points above which indicate that you are confused about many things.

(1) Ideal gas law -- assumes that all gases show the same ideal behavior. Equation of state : PV = nRT (R = 8.314 J/K-mole) -- assumes P, V are in SI (Pa, m^3) R is independent of gas.

(2) Partial pressures are useful in discussing amounts (moles) of gas: If, V, T are constant, then P ∝ n. If air is 80% Nitrogen, then p_N2 = 0.80 P_total. You need to know what the total pressure of the room you are in. You can google the weather to see what the barometric pressure is in your area, and take 80% of that (or use a number for composition with better precision) to determine the partial pressure of N2.

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented by the equation PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What are the assumptions of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that the gas molecules have no volume, do not attract or repel each other, and are in constant random motion. It also assumes that the gas is at a low enough pressure and high enough temperature for these assumptions to be valid.

3. How is the ideal gas law used in real-life applications?

The ideal gas law is used in a variety of real-life applications, including determining the pressure and volume of gases in containers, predicting the behavior of gases in chemical reactions, and calculating the density of gases. It is also used in the design and operation of gas-powered engines and in weather forecasting.

4. What are some limitations of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is only applicable to ideal gases, which do not exist in reality. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures. The ideal gas law also does not take into account intermolecular forces, which can affect the behavior of gases in certain situations.

5. How does the ideal gas law relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The ideal gas law is based on the kinetic theory of gases, which states that gas molecules are in constant random motion and collide with each other and the walls of their container. The ideal gas law equation can be derived from the kinetic theory of gases by making certain assumptions about the behavior of the gas molecules.