Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Application of Condensation Sequence to extrasolar systems?

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    I have spent many hours today trying to determine at what distances certain substances will condense in protoplanetary disks around stars or temperatures different to that of our sun.

I have come to the conclusion that the Inverse-Square Law is key to determining this. However, I am unsure as to how I can apply it in this situation.

Also, there seem to be other factors that will have a major influence on results:

1. Luminosity of Protostars is less than that of their eventual main sequence selves, but I can find no information regarding what the luminosity of these stars might be.

2. Friction within the accretion disk might have an effect on temperature, but I cannot determine to what degree.

Any help in this matter will be much appreciated.

~PhoenixKnight

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2
  4. Feb 25, 2012 #3
    Thanks! These are very interesting! I think they will help a lot. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook