Application of nuclear physics in agriculture

In summary, according to the conversation, the major use of nuclear physics in agriculture is to kill pathogens and preserve harvested crops. It is also used to help determine uptake efficiency in fertilizers and nutrients.
kthouz
I am looking for appliction of nuclear physics in agriculture. i have actually found that it is mostly used in Genetically modified crops. These are modified in order to allow them to resist to some change of climat or to adapt a certain region. My problem now is that i did not find used technic, i mean full and detailed physics description of the process. So i someone got a document or has some more information about it, please informe me too.
thank you!

Biology news on Phys.org
I am a little dubious about the connection between nuclear physics and genetic modification. Where did you get this idea?

All i read is that samples of seeds are exposed to radioactive radiations for a certain time and hence their properties are modified. Me too i need more details about the technic.

This not nuclear physics, but more biology/chemistry. I'm moving it to biology after a coin-toss.

Zz.

I don't think irradiation of food is used to create genetically modified foods. Irradiating a plant would create many mutations, but it is highly unlikely that the mutations would be in the specific gene that the scientists want to modify (plus, this method would not allow the insertion of new genes). The methods used to create genetically modified foods are far more precise and powerful than the very crude method of inducing mutagenesis with radiation.

Irradiation, however, is used to help sterilize foods for shipping and storage. See the following wikipedia article for more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irradiated_food

The best way to find examples of techniques, used by researchers, is to go to your college or local library and do a literature search on this topic.
Have you tried that?
If you encounter any difficulties finding what you are looking for at the library, the reference librarian is an excellent resource to help you.

On the net, such information is more sparse, however you could look at references on pubmed. Here are a couple that I noted that mention techniques for inducing mutagenesis using ionizing radiation on plant material.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1449103" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
kthouz said:
have actually found that it is mostly used in Genetically modified crops
I think the major use is to kill pathogens and preserve harvested crops - especially soft fruit.

Carbon 14 tagging is very important in breeding or genetically modifing crops. Carbon 14 tagging was extremely important in determining the photosynthesis (Calvin) cycle. I think also using other radioactive tags in fertilizers and nutrients to determine uptake efficiency would be useful.

What is nuclear physics and how is it related to agriculture?

Nuclear physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of the nucleus of atoms and the interactions between subatomic particles. In agriculture, nuclear physics is used to understand the effects of radiation on living organisms and how it can be utilized to improve agricultural practices.

How is nuclear physics used in agriculture?

Nuclear physics has a wide range of applications in agriculture, including plant breeding, pest control, and soil fertility management. For example, radiation can be used to induce mutations in plants, leading to the development of new and improved crop varieties. It can also be used to sterilize pests and control their population, reducing the need for harmful pesticides. Additionally, nuclear techniques can be used to measure soil nutrient levels, helping farmers to optimize their fertilizer use.

What are the benefits of using nuclear physics in agriculture?

The use of nuclear physics in agriculture has several benefits. It can help to increase crop yields, improve crop quality, and reduce the use of harmful chemicals. Additionally, nuclear techniques are more precise and efficient compared to traditional methods, leading to cost savings for farmers.

Are there any risks associated with using nuclear physics in agriculture?

There are some potential risks associated with the use of nuclear physics in agriculture, such as the release of radioactive materials into the environment. However, strict safety regulations and protocols are in place to ensure that these risks are minimized. The benefits of using nuclear techniques in agriculture far outweigh the potential risks.

How can I learn more about the application of nuclear physics in agriculture?

There are various resources available to learn more about the application of nuclear physics in agriculture. These include scientific journals, books, and online resources from reputable organizations such as the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Additionally, attending conferences and workshops on the subject can also provide valuable insights and knowledge.