Application of the Stone Weierstrass Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a continuous function on two compact Hausdorff spaces, f, can be approximated by a sum of continuous functions, where the components of the sum are defined on either X or Y. The Stone-Weierstrass Theorem is mentioned as a possible method for proving this, and it is noted that the algebra of functions generated by products of functions on X and Y satisfies the conditions of the theorem. The issue of splitting the given function is also discussed, with the conclusion that the algebra satisfies the hypothesis of SW and therefore an approximation can be found.
CCMarie
How do I prove that:
If X and Y are two compact Hausdorff spaces and f : X × YR is a continuous function, then f is approximable by ∑ fi gi , wheret  f1, ...,  fn  in X and g1, ..., gn in Y are continuous functions.

As far as I read I need to use the Stone-Weierstarss Theorem to prove this.

I know that if X and Y are compact, X × Y is compact.

I should prove that {∑ fi gi } is a Banach algebra that separates points... and I don't know what I need to prove?

Physics news on Phys.org
You first have to construct families of ##\{\,f_i\,\}## and ##\{\,g_i\,\}## from your given function.

Likes CCMarie
Just show that the family {figi} satisfy the conditions of Stone-Weirstrass. IIRC, they are an algebra, contain the constants and one I can't remember.

Likes CCMarie
@fresh_42 I think ##f_i## (resp. ##g_i##) are arbitrary continuous real-valued functions defined on ##X## (resp. ##Y##). You are given the algebra of functions on ##X\times Y## generated by products of functions on ##X## and ##Y##. You don't need to construct anything.

@WWGD The last condition is that the algebra separates points.

Since compact Hausdorff spaces are normal, Urysohn's lemma implies that the algebra of continuous real-valued functions on such a space separates points. You can use this to check that the hypotheses of Stone-Weierstrass are met.

Likes CCMarie and WWGD
Infrared said:
@fresh_42 I think ##f_i## (resp. ##g_i##) are arbitrary continuous real-valued functions defined on ##X## (resp. ##Y##). You are given the algebra of functions on ##X\times Y## generated by products of functions on ##X## and ##Y##. You don't need to construct anything.
Yes, but we have to find them, i.e. their existence. Given is only ##f##. Stone-Weierstraß has to provide the ##f_i,g_i##. That's what it is used for. So first we have to split ##f## and then use the theorem for the algebra of the component functions.

The other way round is to find ##\sum f_i = f## and then the problem is to split them afterwards. I think before is easier, but maybe not.

Likes CCMarie
Why do you have to find them? The problem is only to prove that ##f## can be approximated by functions of the given form, not actually to construct an approximation. The hypotheses of SW are satisfied, so I don't see the issue.

Likes CCMarie
Infrared said:
Why do you have to find them? The problem is only to prove that ##f## can be approximated by functions of the given form, not actually to construct an approximation. The hypotheses of SW are satisfied, so I don't see the issue.
Yes, existence. But direct application gives ##\sum f_i =f## with ##f_i\, : \,X\times Y \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}## and we want ##f_i\, : \,X\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}\, , \,g_i\, : \,Y\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}## with ##\sum f_ig_i =f##. So some split has to be done, before or after.

Likes CCMarie
Sorry, I don't understand your point. Let ##\mathcal{A}## be the algebra of functions ##X\times Y\to\mathbb{R}## of the form ##(x,y)\mapsto \sum_{i} f_i(x)g_i(y)##, where ##f_i,g_i## are continuous on ##X,Y## and the sum is finite (but not of any given fixed length). This algebra satisfies the hypothesis of SW so for any ##\varepsilon>0## there exists a function ##g\in\mathcal{A}## such that ##|g(x,y)-f(x,y)|<\varepsilon## for all ##(x,y)\in X\times Y##. This is what we wanted to show.

Also, Stone-Weierstrass does not say that we can write ##f## as being exactly equal to an infinite sum of the form ##\sum f_ig_i##, just that we can (uniformly) approximate by finite sums. These are not equivalent.

Likes CCMarie
Infrared said:
Sorry, I don't understand your point. Let ##\mathcal{A}## be the algebra of functions ##X\times Y\to\mathbb{R}## of the form ##(x,y)\mapsto \sum_{i=1}^N f_i(x)g_i(y)##, where ##f_i,g_i## are continuous on ##X,Y##. This algebra satisfies the hypothesis of SW so for any ##\varepsilon>0## there exists a function ##g\in\mathcal{A}## such that ##|g(x,y)-f(x,y)|<\varepsilon## for all ##(x,y)\in X\times Y##. This is what we wanted to show.
I thought that we cannot start with the special form, but that we had to use SW on the components. If you define the algebra already by products of functions "without mixed terms", then yes, the split is hidden in the construction of the algebra.

Likes CCMarie
Thank you very much!

1. What is the Stone Weierstrass Theorem?

The Stone Weierstrass Theorem is a fundamental result in mathematical analysis that states that any continuous function on a compact interval can be uniformly approximated by a polynomial function. In other words, it provides a way to approximate any continuous function with simpler polynomial functions.

2. What is the significance of the Stone Weierstrass Theorem?

The Stone Weierstrass Theorem has many important applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to prove the existence and uniqueness of solutions to differential equations, to approximate solutions to optimization problems, and to prove the convergence of numerical methods. It also has applications in signal processing, control theory, and computer graphics.

3. How is the Stone Weierstrass Theorem used in real-world problems?

The Stone Weierstrass Theorem is used in many areas of science and engineering to approximate complex functions with simpler polynomial functions. For example, it can be used to approximate the behavior of a physical system, such as the trajectory of a projectile, or to design a control system for a robotic arm. It is also used in data analysis to approximate and model complex data sets.

4. Can the Stone Weierstrass Theorem be applied to non-continuous functions?

No, the Stone Weierstrass Theorem only applies to continuous functions on a compact interval. If a function is not continuous, it cannot be approximated by a polynomial function. However, there are other approximation theorems that can be used for non-continuous functions, such as the Bernstein approximation theorem.

5. Is the Stone Weierstrass Theorem a difficult concept to understand?

The Stone Weierstrass Theorem can be a challenging concept to fully grasp, as it involves advanced mathematical concepts such as compactness, uniform convergence, and polynomials. However, with a strong foundation in calculus and real analysis, it can be understood and applied in various contexts. It is also a fundamental result in mathematics, so it is important for any scientist or mathematician to have a basic understanding of it.