Applications of refractive light

In summary, the question asks for the angular spread between the red and violet parts of the visible spectrum in ethanol when white light travels from crown glass at an angle of incidence of 60 degrees. Using the equation (ni)(Sini) = (nR)(SinR), the angle for red light is calculated to be 1.32 degrees. To get the answer in degrees, the calculator must be in degree mode and the inverse sine button must be used.
Ryan B

Homework Statement

b) White light travels from crown glass into ethanol. If the angle of incidence in crown
glass is 60.00 degrees (not sure how to insert degree sign), what is the angular spread
between the red and violet parts of the visible spectrum in the ethanol? Illustrate your
answer with a light-ray diagram.

Homework Equations

Sini = 60o
ni (for red light in crown glass) = 1.520
nr (for violet light in crown glass) = 1.376
nR (Ethanol) = 1.36

(ni)(Sini) = (nR)(SinR)

The Attempt at a Solution

For red light:

(ni)(Sini) = (nR)(SinR)
(1.52)(Sin60) = (1.36)(SinR)
SinR = (1.52)(0.866)/1.36
SinR= 0.968

I'm not sure if this is right but, if it is, I'm confused at how to get the angle on my caculator.

Can someone let me know if I'm on the right track?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct.

Your calculator should have a button for inverse sine. On my calculator it's labeled sin-1. Make sure you are in degree mode or you might end up with an answer in radians. For example: sin-1(.5) = 30°

when i hit the Sin-1 button it comes up asin(... so I type in asin(0.968) and hit enter. it comes up: 1.32

why can't i get the degree? when i type in .5 (as in your example) the answer is 0.52

what gives?

never mind...got it

1. What is refractive light?

Refractive light is the bending of light rays as they pass through a medium, such as air, water, or glass. This bending is caused by a change in the speed of light as it travels from one medium to another.

2. What are some examples of applications of refractive light?

Some common applications of refractive light include lenses in eyeglasses, cameras, and telescopes, as well as the phenomena of mirages and rainbows. Refractive light is also used in fiber optic cables for telecommunication and in spectroscopy to analyze the composition of materials.

3. How do lenses use refractive light?

Lenses use the principle of refraction to bend light rays in order to focus them at a specific point. Convex lenses, which are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, converge light rays to form an image, while concave lenses, which are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, diverge light rays.

4. How does the refractive index affect the behavior of light?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a medium can bend light. A higher refractive index means light will bend more when passing through that medium. This is why objects appear distorted when viewed through water or a glass of water, as the light is being bent more than usual.

5. What is total internal reflection and how is it used?

Total internal reflection occurs when a light ray is completely reflected back into the medium it came from, rather than being refracted. This phenomenon is commonly used in fiber optic cables to transmit light signals over long distances without losing energy. It is also used in prisms to create optical illusions and in diamond cutting to enhance the sparkle of the gemstone.