Regarding Total Internal Reflection

In summary, in this conversation, the topic of "Total Internal Reflection" was discussed. The conditions for total internal reflection to occur were explained, including the need for light to enter from a higher index of refraction to a lower index of refraction and the incident angle to be greater than the critical angle. The calculation and diagram for question a) and b) were also provided. For question c), the Brewster angle was mentioned and how it indicates that the reflected light is completely polarized parallel to the interface.
nblu
Regarding "Total Internal Reflection"

Hi, and thanks in advance for viewing this post.

I'd like to type out the question first;

Q: Consider the optical interface between crown glass and ethanol.
a) Under what conditions would total internal reflection be possible at this interface?
Illustrate your answer with a light-ray diagram.

b) White light travels from crown glass into ethanol. If the angle of incidence in crown
glass is 60.00 degrees (not sure how to insert degree sign), what is the angular spread
between the red and violet parts of the visible spectrum in the ethanol? Illustrate your
answer with a light-ray diagram.

c) Light travels from ethanol into crown glass. What is the Brewster angle in this
situation? Illustrate your answer with a light-ray diagram. What is the significance of
this angle of incidence?

Ok, so I have completed question a) and b). (Still working on c).
Any correction/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Answers:
a) In order for the total internal reflection to occur, the light must enter from higher
index of refraction to a lower index of refraction, which in this case, Crown glass -->
Ethanol. In addition, the incident angle must be greater than the critical angle, which
is 63 degrees.
Calculation:
Crown glass = 1.52 > Ethanol = 1.36
Sinθc = (1.36)(1.00) / 1.52
θc = 63 degrees.
Diagram:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5690/spa0202ux3.th.jpg

b) Calculation
θi = 60 degrees
n1 = 1.520 (for red light in crown glass)
n2 = 1.376 (for violet light in crown glass)
nR = 1.36 = Ethanol

For red light;
(will omit calculation due to complication of work on this thread lol)
sinθR = 75 degrees

For violet light;
sinθR = 88 degrees

θdisplacement = θR(violet) - θR(red)
Therefore, θdisplacement = 88 - 75 = 13 degrees.
Diagram:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3772/spa0201aj8.th.jpg

I apologize for the work not being neat T_T

I'm still working on the question C so i will add to the post when its complete hehe

Thank you very much! again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no problem with this; I haven't checked the calculated numbers, but your logic is correct and if you can work that abacus correctly, I'll assume the numbers are right.

C is the easiest part. Look under polarization.

Chi Meson said:
There is no problem with this; I haven't checked the calculated numbers, but your logic is correct and if you can work that abacus correctly, I'll assume the numbers are right.

C is the easiest part. Look under polarization.

Thank you Chi Meson, I hope my works get perfect lol :\
and yep, for the part c, I've wrote down how the incident, or the Brewster angle
indicate that the reflected light is completely polarized parallel to the interface.

Thanks again!

1. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a ray of light traveling through a medium with a higher refractive index hits the boundary of a medium with a lower refractive index at a certain angle, causing the light to be completely reflected back into the original medium. This only happens when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle.

2. How does total internal reflection work?

Total internal reflection works due to the difference in refractive indices between two mediums. When light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index, the speed of light decreases and the light bends away from the normal. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases. When the angle of incidence reaches a critical angle, the angle of refraction becomes 90 degrees, causing the light to be completely reflected instead of refracted.

3. What are some real-life applications of total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection has several practical applications, such as in fiber optics, where it is used to transmit data over long distances. It is also used in optical devices like prisms, binoculars, and periscopes. In medicine, total internal reflection is used in endoscopes and other imaging devices. It is also used in the manufacturing of mirrors and diamonds.

4. Can total internal reflection occur in any medium?

No, total internal reflection can only occur when light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index to a medium with a lower refractive index. It is commonly observed in situations where light travels from glass or water to air.

5. How is total internal reflection related to critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which total internal reflection occurs. It is directly related to the refractive indices of the two mediums involved. The larger the difference in refractive indices, the smaller the critical angle will be. Additionally, the critical angle can be calculated using Snell's Law, which relates the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of two mediums.