Applied geometry: symmetry within a 3D volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a 3D shape with high symmetry that inherits from a cube. The speaker wants to string all 16 vertices with yarn to form 32 edges, and has proven that this can be done with a single piece of yarn. They also want to ensure that the stringing pattern is as symmetrical as possible, with a Schläfli symbol of {4,4}. The speaker has provided links for more information and is looking for general principles to achieve symmetry in their stringing pattern.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've got a 3D shape that, um, inherits from a cube (i.e. it retains properties characteristic of cubes). It has high symmetry.

I wish to string all its vertices (of which there are 16) with - I dunno, yarn - forming the edges (of which there are 32). I can do the entire thing with a single piece of yarn (all vertices have an even number of edges, thus no loose ends); AND I can join the loose ends together, making a single loop of yarn. I have physically proven this to be true.

(For comparison, this cannot be done with a regular cube, since all vertices have an odd number of edges, meaning all vertices will need an end of the yarn.)

Now all I want to do is ensure that my pattern of stringing is as symmetrical as possible, i.e. even accounting for the stringing pattern, there should still be at least some symmetry. ISTM, rotational symmetry is the strictest.

Is there a science to this?

Alternately, I could turn this into a teaser and leave you guys to figure it out...

I'll give you a giant hint: its Schläfli symbol is {4,4} (square faces, 4 faces per vertex).

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not one taker?

Could you provide a little more information on what shape this is?

Well, I was figuring I'd be looking for general principles and do the heavy-lifting myself, but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract"
and http://davesbrain.livejournal.com/287490.html" .

The pattern I've shown has no organization. I want it to be symmetrical.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is applied geometry?

Applied geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of geometric shapes and figures in real-world applications. It involves using mathematical principles to solve problems and design structures in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics.

2. What is symmetry in a 3D volume?

Symmetry in a 3D volume refers to the balanced arrangement of shapes, lines, and angles in three-dimensional space. It means that the object or structure looks the same from different perspectives and can be divided into identical parts that mirror each other.

3. How is symmetry used in applied geometry?

Symmetry is used in applied geometry to create visually appealing and structurally sound designs. By incorporating symmetry, engineers and architects can ensure that their structures are balanced and stable, while also achieving a sense of harmony and beauty.

4. Can symmetry be found in natural objects?

Yes, symmetry can be found in many natural objects, such as crystals, snowflakes, and flowers. In fact, many scientists believe that the presence of symmetry in nature is a result of efficient and effective design solutions.

5. What are some real-world examples of applied geometry and symmetry?

Applied geometry and symmetry can be seen in various structures and designs around us, including buildings, bridges, furniture, and even artwork. For example, the Taj Mahal in India exhibits perfect symmetry in its design, with identical domes and minarets on each side. The Eiffel Tower also showcases symmetry in its iron lattice structure, which is mirrored on all sides.