Optimizing a universal joint design

In summary, the designer is looking for a joint design that is compact, robust, and can be practically constructed.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Looking for a hinge-joint that has the required freedom of movement in a compact and practical design.
First, a caveat: this is one component of a project, which is difficult to describe without quite a but of digression. If my descriptions seem illogical, it may be because I haven't described the function of the component in its proper context. I assume it will take a little bit of back-and-forth before I'm understood. For those of you who have known me online, this is a revisitation of my tesseract project.I'm designing a wireframe of a ... "cube-like thing" from hollow tubing (may be brass hobby tubing, may be 3D printed). It needs to have joints - actually vertices - that can deflect by at least 45 degrees in any direction.

I have been using universal joints, like they use in automobile drivetrains, but they are not ideal. U-joints are meant to undergo rotation, and mine does not need to. MY problem with the u-joint is that it's bulky. The actual length of the joint mechanism (vertex) takes up more of the cube's edge that I can afford.

What I want is a compact design. By that I mean I'm not concerned about the width, just the length that the parts of the joints take up (independent of scale).

Every vertex is a sphere with 4 (four) of these universal joints merging from it equally. (only one shown here).
1615755222483.png

I am looking for a joint design that:
- provides a deflection of at least 45 degrees in any direction
- is as compact as possible (i.e. short along its primary axis)
- provides minimum play (eg. a piece of string provides unlimited deflection but can just as easily collapse)
- is robust (string for example, will break over time)
- can be practically constructed

I've tried several designs - everything from ball-and-socket joints** to string to springs.

**interestingly, a ball-and-socket joint can't deflect by 45 degrees at all.

Looking for suggestions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cup magnets in the ends of the tubes. One steel bearing ball as the vertex.
Maybe glue ball to one tube to prevent loss/injestion.

Baluncore said:
Cup magnets in the ends of the tubes. One steel bearing ball as the vertex.
Maybe glue ball to one tube to prevent loss/injestion.
Yeah. Good idea. Those neodymium magnets are pretty strong, but I'm not sure they're strong enough. Might be worth an experiment.

1. What is a universal joint and what is its purpose?

A universal joint, also known as a U-joint, is a mechanical coupling that allows for the transfer of power between two shafts that are not in a straight line. Its purpose is to transmit torque while allowing for angular misalignment between the two shafts.

2. How can a universal joint design be optimized?

A universal joint design can be optimized by considering factors such as the material used, the angle of misalignment, and the amount of torque being transmitted. The shape and size of the joint can also be modified to improve its efficiency and durability.

3. What are the common problems associated with universal joint designs?

Some common problems with universal joint designs include excessive wear and tear, vibration, and noise. These issues can be caused by factors such as misalignment, inadequate lubrication, and poor material selection.

4. How can the lifespan of a universal joint be extended?

The lifespan of a universal joint can be extended by using high-quality materials, proper lubrication, and regular maintenance. It is also important to ensure that the joint is not subjected to excessive loads or misalignment.

5. What are some important considerations when selecting a universal joint for a specific application?

When selecting a universal joint for a specific application, factors such as the amount of torque, speed, and angle of misalignment must be taken into account. The environment in which the joint will be used, as well as the expected lifespan, should also be considered. Additionally, the cost and availability of the joint should be evaluated.