Applied Physics Job Opportunities?

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school senior's interest in pursuing a degree in Physics and the differences between a degree in Physics and Applied Physics. The conversation also touches on the job opportunities available for both degrees and the importance of checking if the program is ABET accredited. The student also mentions considering a career in engineering and the potential challenges of getting a job with an Engineering Physics degree.
D4V1D
I am a high school senior, and currently trying to figure out what to do next as far as my education goes. I'm very interested in Physics, as I love learning how the things I often take for granted work. A school I applied for has not only Physics, but also Applied Physics. Are the job opportunities much different with either degree? Would I possibly be able to work in an environment with engineers (for example, working in a nuclear power plant; I was wondering about becoming a nuclear engineer, but not many schools nearby offer it, and none in my state whatsoever)? What other jobs could I get? I realize many jobs won't be directly related to Physics, but I would still like to weigh out my options. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
D4V1D said:
I am a high school senior, and currently trying to figure out what to do next as far as my education goes. I'm very interested in Physics, as I love learning how the things I often take for granted work. A school I applied for has not only Physics, but also Applied Physics. Are the job opportunities much different with either degree? Would I possibly be able to work in an environment with engineers (for example, working in a nuclear power plant; I was wondering about becoming a nuclear engineer, but not many schools nearby offer it, and none in my state whatsoever)? What other jobs could I get? I realize many jobs won't be directly related to Physics, but I would still like to weigh out my options. Thank you!

Physics is a pure science and applied physics is analogous to engineering. Can you expand further on what the applied physics curriculum entails?

Kevin_Axion said:
Physics is a pure science and applied physics is analogous to engineering. Can you expand further on what the applied physics curriculum entails?
This was pulled right off of their website:
The Curriculum: In Brief
The Departmental curriculum for majors begins with a calculus-based General Physics sequence followed by courses in the major fields of physics: Classical Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Modern Physics, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics, Optics and Laser Physics, Quantum Mechanics, and Electronics. These courses provide a solid background for students whether they plan on entering graduate school, becoming educators, or working in industry.

Senior Seminar
The high point of a student's physics major at Bridgewater is his/her participation in the Seminar in Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science during the senior year. The student selects a topic for research (either library-based or laboratory-based) and, working with a faculty advisor, completes a major project consisting of an extended written and oral presentation.

These projects demonstrate the skills and knowledge that each student has learned as well as the student's readiness for a career and studies beyond Bridgewater. A few examples of past projects are the construction of a robot arm, experiments on the effects of friction on bullets, ultrasonics, and the study of superconductivity.

It doesn't go much more in depth than that though. It's more of a general statement about the three paths they offer (Physics, Applied Physics, Physics & Mathematics focused for teaching high school).
I'm not sure how this school's program is compared to others, but it's one of the few in my state that I know of to offer Applied Physics. I'm applying to other colleges/universities as well, but I was just hoping for more information on what might be best for the most job opportunities.

D4V1D said:
This was pulled right off of their website:
The Curriculum: In Brief
The Departmental curriculum for majors begins with a calculus-based General Physics sequence followed by courses in the major fields of physics: Classical Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Modern Physics, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics, Optics and Laser Physics, Quantum Mechanics, and Electronics. These courses provide a solid background for students whether they plan on entering graduate school, becoming educators, or working in industry.

Senior Seminar
The high point of a student's physics major at Bridgewater is his/her participation in the Seminar in Physics, Mathematics, and Computer Science during the senior year. The student selects a topic for research (either library-based or laboratory-based) and, working with a faculty advisor, completes a major project consisting of an extended written and oral presentation.

These projects demonstrate the skills and knowledge that each student has learned as well as the student's readiness for a career and studies beyond Bridgewater. A few examples of past projects are the construction of a robot arm, experiments on the effects of friction on bullets, ultrasonics, and the study of superconductivity.

It doesn't go much more in depth than that though. It's more of a general statement about the three paths they offer (Physics, Applied Physics, Physics & Mathematics focused for teaching high school).
I'm not sure how this school's program is compared to others, but it's one of the few in my state that I know of to offer Applied Physics. I'm applying to other colleges/universities as well, but I was just hoping for more information on what might be best for the most job opportunities.

All engineering degrees have great job opportunities so there isn't really much to worry about. Although, this curriculum seems very similar to an Engineering Physics degree which in a lot of cases isn't ABET accredited and it will be very difficult to get an engineering job at a company. In light of this, you should check if this program is ABET accredited.

Kevin_Axion said:
All engineering degrees have great job opportunities so there isn't really much to worry about. Although, this curriculum seems very similar to an Engineering Physics degree which in a lot of cases isn't ABET accredited and it will be very difficult to get an engineering job at a company. In light of this, you should check if this program is ABET accredited.

Thanks, I probably wouldn't have thought to check that! I'm still deciding on whether a Physics major would be right for me, but I figure it's a great thing to look into. I took a tech course in my freshman and sophomore years of high school that seemed to be a high school applied physics class, and I loved the challenge and that I was learning about how many of these things I overlook on a daily basis work. It's very interesting.
Could I possibly get a job working semi-closely with engineers after studying theoretical physics as well, or are theoretical and applied too far apart in that sense? I know they're different, but I wasn't sure if theoretical physics majors are ever employed in these same environments.

D4V1D said:
Thanks, I probably wouldn't have thought to check that! I'm still deciding on whether a Physics major would be right for me, but I figure it's a great thing to look into. I took a tech course in my freshman and sophomore years of high school that seemed to be a high school applied physics class, and I loved the challenge and that I was learning about how many of these things I overlook on a daily basis work. It's very interesting.
Could I possibly get a job working semi-closely with engineers after studying theoretical physics as well, or are theoretical and applied too far apart in that sense? I know they're different, but I wasn't sure if theoretical physics majors are ever employed in these same environments.

I wouldn't be able to tell you haha. Just stick it out for a little bit, there are people on here that have better information than me.

1. What industries commonly hire applied physicists?

Applied physicists are in high demand in a variety of industries, including aerospace, defense, energy, healthcare, and telecommunications. They may also work in research and development for government agencies or private companies.

2. What types of job roles are available for applied physicists?

Applied physicists can work in a variety of roles, including research scientist, engineer, data analyst, technical consultant, or professor. They may also work in product development, quality control, or project management.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in applied physics?

A career in applied physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication. Knowledge of specific software and programming languages may also be necessary, depending on the job role.

4. What level of education is required for applied physics jobs?

Most applied physics jobs require at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. However, many positions may also require a master's degree or Ph.D. for more advanced roles in research or academia.

5. What can I expect in terms of salary and job outlook for applied physics?

The salary for applied physics jobs can vary depending on the industry, job role, and level of education. On average, applied physicists can expect to earn a salary between $80,000 and $120,000 per year. The job outlook for applied physics is also positive, with a projected growth rate of 7% from 2019-2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.