Applied Physics/Kettering University Questions

In summary, the individual has been accepted to Kettering University in Michigan for Applied Physics and is attracted to the school's co-op program. However, they are concerned about how this will affect their chances of getting into grad school and whether the program is well-known. They ask for opinions on the program and other options, including IU-Bloomington.
NextElement
Hey guys, I was just accepted to Kettering University in Michigan for Applied Physics! I really like the school because of its co-op experience, you spend one quarter of the year taking classes, the next in a co-op with a company, and the rotation continues. However, I was wondering how good this is for grad schools, which I'm assuming I will need to attend to have a chance of employment in Applied Physics. Can you all do me a favor and check out the program website to see if it is up to par in terms of preparing for grad school?

http://www.kettering.edu/academics/departments/physics/undergraduate-degreesprograms/bachelor-science-applied-physics

Also, has anyone heard of Kettering before? Everyone I've talked to seems to have never heard of it, but it looks pretty legit. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
NextElement said:
Hey guys, I was just accepted to Kettering University in Michigan for Applied Physics! I really like the school because of its co-op experience, you spend one quarter of the year taking classes, the next in a co-op with a company, and the rotation continues. However, I was wondering how good this is for grad schools, which I'm assuming I will need to attend to have a chance of employment in Applied Physics. Can you all do me a favor and check out the program website to see if it is up to par in terms of preparing for grad school?

http://www.kettering.edu/academics/departments/physics/undergraduate-degreesprograms/bachelor-science-applied-physics

Also, has anyone heard of Kettering before? Everyone I've talked to seems to have never heard of it, but it looks pretty legit. Thanks!

Kettering is an excellent school for preparing yourself for an engineering career in industry because of its mandatory co-op program. However, grad schools prefer to see research experience from perhaps an REU somewhere as opposed to industry experience. Maybe you can do an REU instead of an industry co-op for a couple semesters to get some research experience. One of the students in my EE PhD program did his BS at kettering in EE. He has graduated from the PhD program and now he is a professor at a well-regarded research university.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, also keep in mind that kettering is not in the best location. It is in Flint, which is a pretty crappy place to live, imo.

Another problem with Kettering is it just doesn't have the name recognition outside of Michigan (where it is highly regarded), despite being an excellent school. It just doesn't have the recognition of a place like U of Michigan - Ann Arbor, for instance.

Kettering is pretty competitive to get into. If you could get into Kettering you could probably get accepted to somewhere like UM-AA as well. You can still do co-ops every other semester at UM but it might take longer to graduate (like 5 yrs instead of 4)

I am sure you will be fine with a kettering degree though. It is a really good school.

Last edited:
I've also gotten accepted into IU-Bloomington's Applied Physics program. Would this be a better option? I was attracted to Kettering because of the co-ops, but I'm in-state for IU and it would be a lot cheaper I assume. I am interested in materials science/engineering ultimately.

NextElement said:
I've also gotten accepted into IU-Bloomington's Applied Physics program. Would this be a better option? I was attracted to Kettering because of the co-ops, but I'm in-state for IU and it would be a lot cheaper I assume. I am interested in materials science/engineering ultimately.

IU-Bloomington is quite good as well and you can still do internships there. I am not sure what kind of industry there is in Bloomington though.

1. What is the difference between theoretical and applied physics?

Theoretical physics is concerned with developing and testing theories to describe the fundamental laws of nature, while applied physics uses these theories to solve practical problems and develop new technologies.

2. What types of careers can I pursue with a degree in applied physics from Kettering University?

Graduates with a degree in applied physics from Kettering University can pursue careers in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, renewable energy, aerospace engineering, and medical physics, among others.

3. How does Kettering University's applied physics program prepare students for the workforce?

Kettering University's applied physics program combines rigorous coursework with hands-on experience through co-op opportunities at top companies. This allows students to apply their knowledge in real-world settings and develop practical skills that are highly valued by employers.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area of applied physics at Kettering University?

Yes, Kettering University offers several concentrations within the applied physics program, including materials science, optics and photonics, and energy systems. These concentrations allow students to tailor their education to their specific interests and career goals.

5. What research opportunities are available for applied physics students at Kettering University?

Kettering University has a strong focus on undergraduate research, and applied physics students have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects with faculty mentors. Some recent research topics include nanomaterials for solar energy conversion, bio-inspired materials for medical applications, and computational modeling of complex systems.