1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied to grad school should I contact potential supervisors?

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    I recently applied to some grad schools for a PhD program and I was notified by one particular school that while my marks were under their admission requirements, they recognize that I have valuable background experience which may allow me to succeed and that they would circulate my file to potential supervisors.

I'm very anxious and not sure what to do now. I don't want potential supervisors to simply look at my file and be deterred by marks alone. Would it be worthwhile to start contacting individual supervisors? I don't want to be a nuisance and afraid that if I contact too many people I'll be just that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2
    I say contact them. I see where you are coming from but if i was an advisor I wouldn't mind having a conversation with you. Some people are pricks and will take you as a nuissance, but the chances are if they are a prick they wont pick you anyways or you don't want to be working under them. If you are an impressionable person and appracoh them politely, i see no harm that can come from it. Good luck and let me know what happens.
  4. Mar 10, 2010 #3
    Definitely contact them. Applying at grad school level is quite serious; you should be reading research papers by your potential supervisors and asking them about projects and opportunites.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook