Apply conservation of momentum to the collision

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
~christina~
Gold Member
Messages
714
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



2 automobiles of equal mass approach an intersection. One vehicle is traveling with a velocity of 13.0m/s toward east and other is traveling north with a speed of [tex]v_2i[/tex]. The vehicles collide at the intersection become stuck together and leave parallel skid lines at an angle of 55.0 deg north of east. Speed limit for both cars is 35mi/h and the driver of th northward moving vehicle claims he was within speed limit when it occurred. Is he telling truth?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I don't have the masses so how do I do this problem??

I don't have the v2 so I assume I could work with 35mph speed as the initial speed of the other vehicle but other than that I'm not sure what to do... and I don't have final vf after collison

35mph=> 15.646m/s


Help!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Call the mass of each car "m". You won't need the actual value.

Apply conservation of momentum to the collision. Set up two equations, one for the x-components (East) and one for the y-components (North). Call the final speed vf.

You should be able to solve for v2.