Apply to US Schools with a PGRE Score of 830?

  • Thread starter Thread starter h0dgey84bc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Apply
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
h0dgey84bc
Messages
159
Reaction score
0
Hi,

So the PGRE scores are finally in, I didn't do as well as I might of hoped (830, 79th percentile) :frown:, as I'm an international student (UK) and want to do a PhD in HEP Theory, so I was aiming for 900+ for the best schools, I guess.

I'm not really sure what to do now, I have a few UK schools I've applied for anyway so there's always that to fall back on, but I'm wondering after all this effort if I should still apply to some US places? My profile basically is: UK (4 year, undergrad taught) Master's degree, top few in year (so quite high GPA when converted) w/ publication. General GRE scores were 780 Q, 570 V, 5.5 Writing. PGRE 830.

So I'm obviously not getting into Harvard/Princeton/MIT/Caltech/Stanford/Berkeley, is there anywhere that will take me with HEP theory be so uber competitive and being international?

Any advice most appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Research experience consists of my fourth year masters project from which the paper was published in JHEP (was HEP-phenomenology related to LHC detection channel though, not 100% theoretical)