Applying **again** to Grad School

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on their chances of getting into grad school with a physics GRE score of 700 and a 3.53 GPA. They are also considering pursuing a Masters in engineering or an applied physics PhD. They have received mixed feedback on their chances and are unsure about their options. They have applied to grad school before and were rejected, but are determined to continue with their passion for research. They are now considering applying to a variety of schools in different categories to improve their chances. They also mention potential concerns about their research experience and GPA.
bluechic92
Hey everyone,
I'm sorry for posting this sort of thread. However , I'm really freaking out and in need of some advice.

I just got my physics gre score today and it's a 700 ( 52%).

I thought I did much better on this exam, but it looks like I have made careless mistakes.

Last year I applied to grad school with 3.53 gpa, 650 pgre and was rejected from everywhere! I made sure I covered all ranges.My gpa is the same. My research is in hep-th , but I am considering hep-ex and CME.

I have looked at profiles on the physics gre website, and 90% of them have great profile. On grad cafe, I noticed rejections for people with my stats. It seems like high gpa + lowish pgre is okay, and low gpa + high pgre is okay.

Im just mediocre :/

I have been looking at schools like Boston u, upitt, u mass Amherst.

Do you think these are reasonable? I'm not sure how far to reach, though I'm not going to bother with top 10. I don't have an interest in most of those schools anyways, except MIT because of research, but yeah no.I'm also just considering going for a masters in engineering, or applied physics phd? How often have people been successful from going from physics to engineering? I alway see the other way around. I suppose it would have been easier if I had experimental background.

I hope I don't get rejected this time. All I know is that I love research and that's what inspired me to apply for grad school. My lowish gpa is because I didn't do so well on time pressured exams. My physics grades are mostly A- and B+ with a couple of As and Bs.

I'm even thinking about asking for a fourth letter from a grad class I got B+ in, but the prof knows me really well! I participate a lot in class dissuasion and do well on psets. I didn't do so well on the timed exams, but this prof even told me that he doesn't believe exams are good indicators of potential. He said if there weren't exams, I would have been one of the top students in class. Do you think I should get ask for this Rec letter?

I'm sorry it's soo long

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you applying to a spectrum of grad schools?
- the impossible to get into ones,
- the ones you think you can get into and
- the safe ones that you know you'll get into...

Usually you pick three in each category. Its a lot of work to do all those applications but it improves your chances dramatically.

bluechic92 said:
Hey everyone,
I'm sorry for posting this sort of thread. However , I'm really freaking out and in need of some advice.

I just got my physics gre score today and it's a 700 ( 52%).

I thought I did much better on this exam, but it looks like I have made some careless mistakes.

Last year I applied to grad school with 3.53 gpa, 650

So what "advice" are you looking for here? There is not a single question in your post.

Zz.

Oh I'm really sorry! I accidentally posted the thread, before I finished. It's longer now and contains questions. Thanks jedishrfu! I'm not really going to bother with the impossible. The problem is I don't think safeties even exist for me. I'm just having trouble finding matches. The competition seems tough!

I think you have to take a realistic look at your application. It is not strong.

If you got a 650 and then a 700, most people are not going to think "this person probably can do better - there were careless mistakes". They are going to conclude that an accurate measure of where you are is probably somewhere between 650 and 700. Since about twice as many people take the GRE as ultimately end up in grad school, a 52% puts you near the very bottom.

Grad schools like to see a 3.5 or above. So in this respect, you are average.

If your letter writers all focus on classes (you mention this for a 4th letter), and not research, this is below average. For a letter "best student this year" is what an average letter says.

The schools you name will have stronger candidates. In some cases, a lot stronger. You need to apply to a large number of schools - perhaps 15 or 20 - and maximize the chances that one of these schools has fewer acceptances than they planned for. By all means, apply to Pitt and BU, but also apply to SMU, Baylor, Drexel, Northern Illinois, etc.

Thanks for your honesty Vanadium. Two of my rec letters would be from my research advisors. My research experience have been great and my profs were happy with my performance, and I believe their letters would be strong.

I am beginning to think that I am not cut out to do physics anymore. I love research and I love physics, and I want to keep going. I guess I am glad taking this year off, at least now my decisions won't be impulsive.

last year, I was accepted for a physics Masters from a very good school but I could not afford it. Part of me wishes I took the loans out so I had a chance to improve my GPA.

Do you think with my GPA, I have a good shot at some masters program for engineering? maybe this could lead to a PhD in some engineering field. I just know that i love research, so no matter what I want that doctorate. I could careless how long it takes.

I don't know how engineering programs make decisions, but your competition is probably mostly engineering majors. You need your packet to show that you are at least as prepared as they are, or that you are bringing something to the department that makes them want to accept you even though you will have some deficiencies in your preparation.

1. Why should I apply to grad school again?

There are several reasons why you may consider applying to grad school again. Perhaps you did not receive acceptance to your desired program the first time, or you have since gained more experience and skills that make you a stronger candidate. Additionally, your career goals may have shifted and you now realize that a graduate degree would benefit you.

2. Is it worth it to reapply to grad school?

It ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. If you are determined to pursue a graduate degree and have taken steps to improve your application, then it may be worth reapplying. However, if you have not made any significant changes to your application, it may be best to consider other options.

3. What steps should I take before reapplying to grad school?

Before submitting another application, it is important to reflect on your previous application and identify areas for improvement. This may include gaining more experience in your field, retaking standardized tests, or obtaining strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, it may be helpful to reach out to the admissions office or current students in your desired program to understand why your previous application was not successful.

4. Can I use the same application materials when reapplying to grad school?

In most cases, you will need to submit a new application with updated materials when reapplying to grad school. This may include a new statement of purpose, updated transcripts, and new letters of recommendation. However, some programs may allow you to reuse certain materials, so it is important to check with the admissions office.

5. How can I increase my chances of being accepted when reapplying to grad school?

To increase your chances of being accepted when reapplying to grad school, it is important to identify and address any weaknesses in your previous application. This may involve gaining more experience, improving your test scores, or finding ways to make your application stand out. Additionally, it may be helpful to apply to a variety of programs and have a backup plan in case you are not accepted to your top choice.