1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying Maxwell's equations to plane waves

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a harmonic uniform plane wave propagating in a simple medium, both [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{H}[/tex] vary in accordance with the factor exp(-i [tex]\vec{k}[/tex].[tex]\vec{R}[/tex])

Show that the four Maxwell’s equations
    for a uniform plane wave in a source-free region reduce to the following:

[tex]\vec{k}[/tex] [tex]\times[/tex][tex]\vec{E}[/tex]= [tex]\omega\mu[/tex][tex]\vec{H}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{k}[/tex] [tex]\times[/tex][tex]\vec{H}[/tex] = [tex]\omega\epsilon[/tex][tex]\vec{E}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{k}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = 0

[tex]\vec{k}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\vec{H}[/tex] = 0

Apparently "Vector k and Vector R are the the general forms of wave number and position vector(or direction of propagation)"

Question Source(no.4) :http://www.lib.yuntech.edu.tw/exam_new/96/de.pdf"

2. Relevant equations

You supposed to use Maxwell's Equations for a plane wave

[tex]\nabla[/tex] x [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = -i[tex]\omega\mu[/tex][tex]\vec{H}[/tex]

[tex]\nabla[/tex] x [tex]\vec{H}[/tex] = i[tex]\omega\mu[/tex][tex]\vec{E}[/tex]

[tex]\nabla . [/tex] [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = 0

[tex]\nabla . [/tex][tex]\vec{H}[/tex] = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

First off,I am confused as to how k can be a vector when it is the wave number(a scalar).
    From what I can tell,the wave is propagating in the radial direction in spherical coordinates.
    I then assumed the electric and magnetic fields to be orthogonal in the [tex]\theta[/tex]and [tex]\phi[/tex] direction.

But just simply substituting the phasor form of the plane wave into Maxwell's equations:

E[tex]_{o}[/tex] exp((-i [tex]\vec{k}[/tex].[tex]\vec{R}[/tex]) into Maxwell equations doesn't seem to yield the desired results because I don't understand how they obtained the cross-products and dot products of [tex]\vec{k}[/tex]with [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] and
    [tex]\vec{H}[/tex].

I just can't seem to grasp the concept of a vector as my wave number.Could someone please phrase the question in more concise terms?What am I misunderstanding here?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vector [itex]\textbf{k}[/itex] is called the "wave vector". It's magnitude is the wavenumber and it points in the direction of propagation.

Just substitute [tex]\textbf{E}=\textbf{E}_0e^{i(\textfb{k}\cdot\textbf{r}-\omega t)}[/itex] and [tex]\textbf{H}=\textbf{H}_0e^{i(\textfb{k}\cdot\textbf{r}-\omega t)}[/itex] into Maxwell's equations and take the derivatives...what do you get?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook