Applying to Astronomy Grad Schools: Is Coursework Necessary?

In summary: Taking the upper-div Thermodynamics part B course would be a better idea. It would help you understand thermodynamics in a broader context.
creepypasta13
So I already graduated with a BS in Physics, but am considering applying to Astronomy grad schools. I don't have any coursework or research projects in it, but plan to start research with an Astro prof soon. As far as coursework, how necessary is it to have some when applying to Astro grad schools?

The nearby school where I can take undergrad Astro classes as a non-degree student is starting their spring semester this week. I think its too late for me to enroll. But they don't plan to offer any Astro classes for Fall '11 but they do offer some grad-level Physics courses. I could also take some Astro undergrad classes in Winter '12, after I submit my applications, Would that suffice?

Physics news on Phys.org
creepypasta13 said:
So I already graduated with a BS in Physics, but am considering applying to Astronomy grad schools. I don't have any coursework or research projects in it, but plan to start research with an Astro prof soon. As far as coursework, how necessary is it to have some when applying to Astro grad schools?

I don't think it's essential to have anything beyond the standard physics curriculum. You can spend a week or two going through some intro astronomy texts. and it would help to go into the journals and read up on whatever your research interests are.

You'll take the standard graduate astro classes in the first two years, and beyond that, it will be reading journal articles.

Some of the students studying astronomy in the physics grad program I attended had not taken any astronomy classes. They picked it up pretty fast. Have you considered trying to enroll in a school that combines the physics and astronomy programs into one department? That way you won't have to worry about your astro background, you can do a dissertation in astrophysics, and get a physics PhD (which is far more marketable than astronomy).

twofish-quant said:
I don't think it's essential to have anything beyond the standard physics curriculum. You can spend a week or two going through some intro astronomy texts. and it would help to go into the journals and read up on whatever your research interests are.

You'll take the standard graduate astro classes in the first two years, and beyond that, it will be reading journal articles.

Oh I see. So I guess I won't be at a disadvantage when taking the grad-level astro classes compared to the incoming students who already took undergrad astro courses

eri said:
Some of the students studying astronomy in the physics grad program I attended had not taken any astronomy classes. They picked it up pretty fast. Have you considered trying to enroll in a school that combines the physics and astronomy programs into one department? That way you won't have to worry about your astro background, you can do a dissertation in astrophysics, and get a physics PhD (which is far more marketable than astronomy).

Most of the schools I'm looking at have separate programs. Since I'm mostly interested in Astro, I think its better to apply to the Astro programs instead of Physics anyways. One school I just got admitted to for Physics already told me they won't even provide me with a TAship if I do research in Astro
I also should've asked this earlier, so I'll ask it now. Since it seems that taking an undergrad astro class isn't that essential (I was thinking of taking an upper-div Star Formation course), would it be better if I took the upper-div Thermodynamics part B course instead? I already took Thermo A at my undergrad school, and got my worst physics grade in it, which was a B. So I'd imagine getting an A in part B would sort of offset that poor grade

Last edited:
any other thoughts?

Related to Applying to Astronomy Grad Schools: Is Coursework Necessary?

1. Is coursework necessary for applying to astronomy grad schools?

Yes, coursework is usually a requirement for applying to astronomy grad schools. Most programs require applicants to have completed courses in physics, calculus, and astronomy at the undergraduate level. These courses provide the necessary foundation for graduate-level studies in astronomy.

2. Can I apply to astronomy grad schools without a background in physics or math?

It is possible to apply to astronomy grad schools without a strong background in physics or math, but it may limit your options. Many programs require coursework in these subjects, and having a strong foundation in these areas can greatly benefit your graduate studies in astronomy.

3. Will my undergraduate coursework in astronomy be enough for grad school?

While undergraduate coursework in astronomy is a good starting point, most graduate programs will require more advanced coursework in this subject. It is important to have a strong understanding of topics such as astrophysics, observational techniques, and data analysis before entering a graduate program.

4. Are there specific courses that are recommended for preparing for grad school in astronomy?

Yes, there are certain courses that are highly recommended for preparing for grad school in astronomy. These include advanced physics and math courses, as well as courses in computer science and statistics. It is also beneficial to take courses in astrophysics and observational techniques to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. Can I make up for a lack of coursework with research experience?

Research experience can certainly strengthen your application for astronomy grad school, but it may not completely make up for a lack of coursework in certain areas. It is important to have a balance of both coursework and research experience to present a well-rounded application to graduate programs in astronomy.