Applying to grad school in theoretical physics

In summary: GRE about a week in advance, and allow two to three weeks for the schools to receive your scores. Therefore, you'll probably...register for the GRE about a week in advance, and allow two to three weeks for the schools to receive your scores. Therefore, you'll probably have time to submit your scores by the December 1 deadline.In summary,The senior in the conversation is considering applying to graduate schools, but is unsure of which ones to apply to. He is interested in theoretical physics, and is wondering what schools would be best for him. He is also wondering if it is too late to apply, and if he should wait until he graduates. He is considering attending
StatusX
Homework Helper
I'm currently a senior, and I'm starting to apply to grad schools (I know it's late). Right now I'm picking what schools to apply to. But there's too many. I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what schools would be best for me.

So my situation is: I'm interested in theoretical physics. String theory, I guess, if that's all there is. I'm really more math oriented than experimental physics oriented, and I've even considered just doing pure math. But for now, I want to stick to physics.

I'm also wondering what schools I'd have a shot at, and which would be safety schools. I have near a 4.0 GPA at Cornell, I did research in fiber optics over the summer that I'm still doing, along with a little side research project in astrophysics. (I'm not really interested in either of these topics, but I wasn't able to find anything closer to what I want to do). That's about it as far as what I've done.

My advisor reccomended Columbia and Princeton. I was also thinking Stanford, Caltech, and maybe MIT. But these don't sound like safety schools. I also heard one of the UC schools has a really good program, but I can't remember which it is (maybe the one with John Baez, riverside I think?).

I would really appreciate any help on this. I need to get a move on, but I'm kind of stuck at this stage. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it considered late to apply to grad schools right now? Are you graduating in May 07? I am, and I haven't started applying yet. I haven't even taken my GRE's yet. I just can't find the time to study. I also have to start studying for the FE exam.:bugeye:

Maxwell said:
Is it considered late to apply to grad schools right now? Are you graduating in May 07? I am, and I haven't started applying yet. I haven't even taken my GRE's yet. I just can't find the time to study.

That was my first reaction too and I'm in the same boat as you're.

It's late to start. The applications are due around the beginning of December, and you need to start asking for reccomendations, taking tests, etc. Supposedly you're supposed to take the GRE in the spring or over the summer before your senior year. I don't know who makes these rules though.

Any ideas? I really need some help. The most important thing right now for me is to find some decent safety schools, since I'd be happy to go to any of the schools I listed above, and I'll probably apply to most of them, but I really don't know if I have a shot at them.

Is it considered late to apply to grad schools right now? Are you graduating in May 07? I am, and I haven't started applying yet. I haven't even taken my GRE's yet. I just can't find the time to study. I also have to start studying for the FE exam.
Uh, you really need to get moving. The three grad schools to which I am applying have application deadlines in mid-December. In fact, if you took the GRE today, you still might not have time to submit your scores.

Since you're in NY, I'd suggest these as "safety schools", although to many, they are really quite high-ranked:

1. SUNY-Stony Brook
2. City Colleges of NY
3. U. of Connecticut (this is a terrific school that many do not know about)
4. Rutgers (especially if you want to do theoretical condensed matter physics, this is the "center of the universe" as far as dynamical mean field theory goes)
5. Johns Hopkins (although I consider this school as good as any Ivy League schools)
6. Boston University (remember, Sheldon Glashow moved there from Harvard)

Zz.

SUNY-Buffalo has a program that is decent also if you're looking for a NY school...

Manchot said:
Uh, you really need to get moving. The three grad schools to which I am applying have application deadlines in mid-December. In fact, if you took the GRE today, you still might not have time to submit your scores.

That's so early. :rolleyes: I'm not sure if I want to go to grad school right away, or have my job pay for it. Lots of companies offer compensation for grad school. I barely have any time to decide.

Also, I can't find time to study for the GRE's during the semester. These deadlines are a load of crap.

Well, if I were you, I'd do the applications now, and make a decision later. I think you need to register for the GRE about a week in advance, and allow two to three weeks for the schools to receive your scores. Therefore, you'll probably have to take the GRE cold.

Honestly, it probably won't make that much of a difference, though. As a EE major, you'll do just fine on the math portion, which doesn't even cover trigonometry, let alone calculus. Looking at the average scores for MIT, Stanford, and Illinois, I get the distinct impression that the verbal section doesn't matter very much to engineering schools, given the high incidence of international students. (All three have verbal averages in the mid to low 500s.) You'll probably want to bone up on the analytical writing section, though, because it's important that you be able to coherently express your ideas.

As a whole, the general GRE is really poor at helping the engineering departments to make a decision. Since pretty much everyone gets an 800 on math, that section is completely worthless. Likewise, the verbal score means very little, since there is so much nationality-dependent variation. Really, all that's left is the analytical writing section. In fact, I suspect this is why MIT's EECS department doesn't even require the GRE for their application.

Last edited:
StatusX said:
I'm also wondering what schools I'd have a shot at, and which would be safety schools. I have near a 4.0 GPA at Cornell, I did research in fiber optics over the summer that I'm still doing, along with a little side research project in astrophysics.

I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me you'd have a better than average shot at any program you care to apply to, given your accomplishments to date.

1. How do I know if I am qualified to apply for a graduate program in theoretical physics?

To be qualified for a graduate program in theoretical physics, you should have completed a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field with a strong focus on mathematics. Your grades in relevant courses, research experience, and letters of recommendation will also play a significant role in determining your eligibility.

2. What are the important factors to consider when choosing a graduate program in theoretical physics?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a graduate program in theoretical physics include the faculty and their research interests, the curriculum and course offerings, the reputation and ranking of the program, and the resources and opportunities available for research and professional development.

3. Can I apply to multiple graduate programs in theoretical physics?

Yes, you can apply to multiple graduate programs in theoretical physics. However, it is important to carefully consider the programs you are applying to and make sure they align with your research interests and career goals. Additionally, each program may have different application requirements and deadlines, so be sure to keep track of them.

4. Is it necessary to have research experience before applying to a graduate program in theoretical physics?

Having research experience can strengthen your graduate school application, but it is not always necessary. Some programs may require or highly recommend research experience, while others may not. If you do not have research experience, you can highlight other relevant experiences such as coursework, internships, or projects in your application.

5. How important are GRE scores in the application process for a graduate program in theoretical physics?

While GRE scores are still a common requirement for graduate school applications in theoretical physics, their importance may vary among different programs. Some programs may place more emphasis on other factors such as research experience and letters of recommendation. It is important to check the specific requirements of each program you are applying to.