Appreciation of real analysis/abstract algebra among science professors

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Simfish
Gold Member
Messages
811
Reaction score
2
What % of professors in, say, physics, would be familiar with real analysis/abstract algebra/topology? What about, say, the material in senior level CS courses?

How about professors in astrophysics, theoretical biology, earth/atmospheric sciences, and chemistry?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think biologists know real analysis or abstract algebra at all
 
I'm not an expert biologist, but I would think that the most difficult mathematics they have to be comfortable with is differential equations.
 
it really depends on what field of biology. ecology would probably need to differ eq as population dynamics are modeled by differ eqs.

although some areas of biology boarder physics or something. structural biology, for example, would involve plenty of quantum mechanics (the therefore the math needed). just look up biophysics. and a lot of protein modeling is basically theoretical physics/chemistry.