Appropriate for personal statement?

In summary, the REU was the best time I remember having in my entire life and it made me realize that I want to continue researching physics.
fsteel42
Physics grad school personal statements: Is it okay to say that my summer REU was the best time I remember having in my entire life (literally)?

In particular, for the two separate cases of applying to the REU university and to other places. As a side note, I am fairly outgoing and I expect my recommendation letters to show this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since when to companies care what your university says about you? In Australia we don't get jack squat and for good reason.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear on that - I just edited the sentence to make it clearer (hopefully). I'm not applying to companies - I am applying to physics grad schools only, both the university that hosted the REU program and other universities.

Ah that helps. We don't have grad schools, so you can see my confusion. I personally wouldn't mention that, no doubt everyone thinks that, but what has it got to do with grad school? Shouldn't you focus on why you want to continue your studies and what sort of contribution you can make with your intended degree?

Well, its a large part of the reason why I want to continue research - I really liked the work & the environment. I don't like the place where I regularly go to school because it's dead in comparison - the department has 3 people doing research right now.

That's like saying I want to continue studying because I like partying. Not a good tihng to put on there.

I don't see an issue, but I would obviously tweek the wording to something like "my research experience as an undergraduate has reaffirmed my belief that researching such and such is what I want to do" or something along that lines.

Vadar2012 said:
That's like saying I want to continue studying because I like partying. Not a good tihng to put on there.

Agreed the social stuff does have a lot to do with it. It's nice not being the only person under your advisor and it's nice to see what a lot of other people are actually working on. Actually it made a huge difference - and I got a lot done as a result.

But what you're saying is that I should focus more on the work that I want to do?

MarneMath said:
I don't see an issue, but I would obviously tweek the wording to something like "my research experience as an undergraduate has reaffirmed my belief that researching such and such is what I want to do" or something along that lines.

Okay, yeah that something like that would make it a lot less dramatic. Thats one important thing - I'm debating how much to make the essay stands out (and be blunt & honest) vs. make it more what they expect / more palatable.

1. What is an appropriate topic for a personal statement?

An appropriate topic for a personal statement is something that is meaningful and relevant to your personal or academic life. This can be a significant experience, a personal challenge, or a specific skill or passion that you possess.

2. How long should a personal statement be?

Most personal statements are typically 500-700 words, or about one to two pages single-spaced. However, it is important to follow the specific guidelines provided by the school or program you are applying to.

3. What tone should I use in my personal statement?

The tone of a personal statement should be professional and sincere. Avoid using overly casual or informal language, and make sure your writing is clear and concise. It is also important to convey your enthusiasm and passion for the topic or experience you are discussing.

4. Can I use personal pronouns in my personal statement?

Yes, it is acceptable to use personal pronouns in a personal statement. However, make sure not to overuse them and focus more on the content and message of your statement.

5. How can I make my personal statement stand out?

To make your personal statement stand out, focus on showcasing your unique experiences and perspectives. Avoid cliches and generic statements, and instead, use specific examples and details to highlight your strengths and qualities. It is also important to have someone else proofread and provide feedback on your statement to ensure it is well-written and impactful.