1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Appropriate for personal statement?

1. Nov 25, 2012 #1
    Physics grad school personal statements: Is it okay to say that my summer REU was the best time I remember having in my entire life (literally)?

In particular, for the two separate cases of applying to the REU university and to other places. As a side note, I am fairly outgoing and I expect my recommendation letters to show this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2
    Since when to companies care what your university says about you? In Australia we don't get jack squat and for good reason.

4. Nov 25, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I wasn't too clear on that - I just edited the sentence to make it clearer (hopefully). I'm not applying to companies - I am applying to physics grad schools only, both the university that hosted the REU program and other universities.

5. Nov 25, 2012 #4
    Ah that helps. We don't have grad schools, so you can see my confusion. I personally wouldn't mention that, no doubt everyone thinks that, but what has it got to do with grad school? Shouldn't you focus on why you want to continue your studies and what sort of contribution you can make with your intended degree?

6. Nov 25, 2012 #5
    Well, its a large part of the reason why I want to continue research - I really liked the work & the environment. I don't like the place where I regularly go to school because it's dead in comparison - the department has 3 people doing research right now.

7. Nov 25, 2012 #6
    That's like saying I want to continue studying because I like partying. Not a good tihng to put on there.

8. Nov 25, 2012 #7

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I don't see an issue, but I would obviously tweek the wording to something like "my research experience as an undergraduate has reaffirmed my belief that researching such and such is what I want to do" or something along that lines.

9. Nov 26, 2012 #8
    Agreed the social stuff does have a lot to do with it. It's nice not being the only person under your advisor and it's nice to see what a lot of other people are actually working on. Actually it made a huge difference - and I got a lot done as a result.

But what you're saying is that I should focus more on the work that I want to do?

Okay, yeah that something like that would make it a lot less dramatic. Thats one important thing - I'm debating how much to make the essay stands out (and be blunt & honest) vs. make it more what they expect / more palatable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook