1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Approximate spring potential energy U(x) for small oscillations

1. Sep 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Take a PE function U(x), which has an equilibrium point at x=0, and provides a restoring force in that region, and show that a Taylor expansion around that area can be approximated by a SHO PE function for small x."

2. Relevant equations
    U=.5kx^2....x = (A^2)*sin^2(wo(t)-delta)
    also typical taylor series expansion...MacLaurin expansion for x=0 i think?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I've made several attempts...I don't think i have a general concept of how to proceed with this problem. Expansion of .5kx^-2 already ended up 0 + k*0 + k...integrating this k that remains twice gives kx^2 which aside from missing the .5 term seems to be validating our goal of the problem: showing that force and potential approximations both lead to the same basic form at small amplitudes. I just don't think I have any concept of how to expand a function using a series, which is sad considering I have already passed Mechanics II and am retaking for GPA reasons and shooting myself in the foot somewhat. Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2015 #2
    So you have a general potential ##U(x)##.
    What is the Taylor series for such a function (the sum-expression)?

Next you use what's given, equilibrium means that the first derivative is 0.
    Remember, you look at a small region around ##x=0##. What can you say about ##x^2## compared to ##x^4##?

Try to understand this assignment really well, it is common all around physics.
    At least to get a feel for your system, this can help an awful lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted