Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A April 23rd Magnetosphere Anomaly

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

Dotini

Gold Member

At that time the solar wind was having an effect on Earth due to a stream flowing from a coronal hole on the sun. The interplanetary magnetic field was supposedly pointing north at the time. But perhaps the solar particles briefly turned the field south, causing a brief cancellation of Earth's magnetic field? Curiously, the moon was full and at apogee at vaguely the same time.

From the April 22 edition of spaceweather.com:

A gaseous canyon in the sun's atmosphere has turned toward Earth, and it is spewing solar wind in our direction. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory is monitoring the structure, shown here in an extreme ultraviolet image taken on April 22nd:
    ch_strip2.png

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your answer, im curious has this happened before? What are some potential outcomes?

5. Apr 25, 2016 #4

Dotini

Gold Member

I'm no expert. But I'm sure this or something quite similar has happened very often, with no particularly alarming outcomes or consequences I'm aware of. Probably auroral activity or penetration of cosmic rays to Earth's surface is briefly affected.

6. Apr 25, 2016 #5
  7. Apr 27, 2016 #6

1oldman2

Gold Member

8. Apr 27, 2016 #7

1oldman2

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted