Aqua regia and a damned simulator

• Thread starter rollcast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulator
In summary, Richard discusses a chemistry simulation program created by a tech expert in his company that is used to determine the appropriate concentrations of acids needed to safely dissolve metals from machined parts. However, when he tried to use it to find the weakest possible solution of aqua regina that could dissolve gold, the simulation froze and displayed an error message about ice inside the environment. Richard and his team are now trying to figure out why this happened, and they suspect it may be due to the absorption of heat from bond-making reactions in the solution. However, they are not sure how the simulation works and if it is capable of dealing with all possible cases. Richard also mentions that they have used the simulation before with success, but never with gold.
rollcast
One of the tech wizards in my company came up with a chemistry simulator a few years back. It works great and is quite useful, however I ran it this morning to see if I could find the weakest possible solution of aqua regina I could make that would still dissolve gold.

The thing totally **** itself when I added the gold to the aqua regina solution, but when the program unfroze it said there was ice inside the simulation environment?? This thing isn't graphical so you just have to read the print outs and work from there.

The chemistry guy is off on holiday so I have had to search my memory of high school chemistry for answers and can only come to the conclusion is that the amount of bond making occurring in the reaction has absorbed enough heat from the environment to freeze the solution?

Thanks
Richard

Ps. The first simulation said that the lowest temperature was -190oc, this however could have been a localised anomaly

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Doesn't sound like something that can happen in this case. If anything, I would expect the solution to get hot.

I agree with Borek .. I think you have hit upon a question that the simulator wasn't designed to deal with. I am not sure how it works, but there is no general way to account for all possible cases in a chemical simulator, so it can only give sensible results for systems it is specifically programmed to deal with. Have you used it for gold in aqua regia (note spelling) before and gotten sensible results? If so, then you probably just ran up against a concentration limit or something, where the program went haywire without giving you a sensible error message.

One quibble with your post ... making bonds *releases* energy, so the result predicted by your simulator could only result from energy being absorbed from the solution to break bonds, to the point where the temperature dropped below the freezing point. As Borek said, I would expect the opposite to occur in your example, since the dissolution happens by a redox reaction, followed by a complexation reaction, both of which are exothermic.

Sorry about the mix up on the science of it, I only remember high school hazily.

The simulator was designed to work out concentrations of acids needed to dissolve metals from machined parts and not damage the finished piece, we have had a request to machine some probe tips for someone, the main body is made out of gold and the very tips are electrocoated with platinum, don't know what their for I work in management now and don't deal with the machining.

The aqua regia was needed to clean the pieces before they were plated. We had used it before with aqua regia but never with gold so this is were the problem is.
Thanks
Richard

It is possible that the addition of gold to the aqua regia solution caused an exothermic reaction, releasing heat and potentially lowering the temperature of the surrounding environment. This could explain the presence of ice in the simulation. However, without further information and analysis, it is difficult to determine the exact cause of this anomaly. I would recommend consulting with the chemistry expert in your company upon their return from holiday to further investigate and troubleshoot the simulation. Additionally, it may be beneficial to run multiple simulations with varying amounts of gold and aqua regia to determine the optimal conditions for dissolving gold.

What is aqua regia and what is its purpose?

Aqua regia is a highly corrosive solution made from a mixture of nitric acid and hydrochloric acid. Its purpose is to dissolve noble metals, such as gold and platinum, which are not typically soluble in other acids.

How is aqua regia used in a damned simulator?

In a damned simulator, aqua regia is used to simulate the corrosive environment of a nuclear waste repository. The simulation involves exposing various materials to aqua regia to determine their resistance to corrosion over time.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with aqua regia?

Due to its highly corrosive nature, aqua regia should be handled with extreme caution. Proper protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn and the solution should only be handled in a well-ventilated area. It should also be stored in a tightly sealed container.

What types of materials can withstand the effects of aqua regia?

Materials that are resistant to aqua regia include gold, platinum, and certain types of stainless steel. Other materials, such as copper and iron, will corrode in the presence of aqua regia.

Is aqua regia safe to dispose of?

No, aqua regia should not be disposed of in regular household waste. It should be neutralized and diluted before being disposed of according to local regulations. It is also important to never mix aqua regia with other chemicals as it can produce toxic fumes.