Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arbitrary digit of an exponential number

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    I am looking to find an arbitrary digit of lets say 23^234. This one has 219 digits. so lets find the 187th digit....

This isn't homework or anything, I just think it would be interesting and I couldn't find it on google. I would rather use simple number theory that can be taught to a college student. but if this requires more math, go ahead and use whatever you need.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2
    There's no easy way to do it. However, note that the last N digits in the sequence 23, 23^2, 23^3, 23^4, ... must eventually repeat. For 23, the length between repeats is 4*5^(N-1). So all you need to do to find the 187th digit in 23^234 is to print out that list of 4*5^(219-187-1) numbers and use modulo arithmetic to figure out where in that list your desired digit is. ;o)

4. Nov 17, 2011 #3
    interesting... How do I get the formula for finding repeating length in an arbitrary exponential X^N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook