Arbitrary digit of an exponential number

In summary, to find an arbitrary digit in an exponential, such as 23^234, one can use the fact that the last digits in the sequence will eventually repeat. For 23, the length between repeats is 4*5^(N-1). This can be applied to any exponential, with the formula being 4*X^(N-1) where X is the base and N is the exponent. Using modulo arithmetic, one can determine the position of the desired digit in the repeating sequence.
cap.r
I am looking to find an arbitrary digit of let's say 23^234. This one has 219 digits. so let's find the 187th digit...

This isn't homework or anything, I just think it would be interesting and I couldn't find it on google. I would rather use simple number theory that can be taught to a college student. but if this requires more math, go ahead and use whatever you need.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no easy way to do it. However, note that the last N digits in the sequence 23, 23^2, 23^3, 23^4, ... must eventually repeat. For 23, the length between repeats is 4*5^(N-1). So all you need to do to find the 187th digit in 23^234 is to print out that list of 4*5^(219-187-1) numbers and use modulo arithmetic to figure out where in that list your desired digit is. ;o)

interesting... How do I get the formula for finding repeating length in an arbitrary exponential X^N.

1. What is an exponential number?

An exponential number is a number that is expressed in the form of a^b, where a is a constant and b is the exponent. It represents repeated multiplication of a base number by itself.

2. What is an arbitrary digit?

An arbitrary digit is a digit that can be chosen freely or without any specific pattern. In the context of an exponential number, it refers to any digit within the number that can be selected at random.

3. How can you find an arbitrary digit of an exponential number?

To find an arbitrary digit of an exponential number, you can use the formula a^b = c, where a is the base number, b is the exponent, and c is the resulting number. Then, you can count the digits from the right to the left, starting with 0 as the first digit, and the digit you are looking for will be the b+1 digit.

4. Can an arbitrary digit of an exponential number be negative?

Yes, an arbitrary digit of an exponential number can be negative. This can happen when the base number is a negative number and the exponent is an odd number. In this case, the resulting number will be negative, and the arbitrary digit will be the digit on the b+1 position from the right, counting negative digits as well.

5. What is the significance of an arbitrary digit of an exponential number?

The significance of an arbitrary digit of an exponential number is that it can provide insight into the properties of the number and its behavior as the exponent increases or decreases. It can also be used in various mathematical calculations and applications, such as in finance, physics, and computer science.