mesa
- 694
- 36
The title pretty much says it all, what do we have today that is better than Archimedes 'method of exhaustion' (although I would argue it is quite beautiful) for deriving Pi?
micromass said:It took me 5 seconds to google your answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approximations_of_π
mesa said:Are you suggesting all of those approximations are better than Archimedes?
mesa said:Are you suggesting all of those approximations are better than Archimedes?
micromass said:Obviously, yes.
mesa said:A wonderfully surprising answer! Which is best and why?
micromass said:Read the wiki page I linked. It covers all that and more.
mesa said:I don't see it, explain your reasoning.
micromass said:Explain what? That the wiki page covers the most efficient and fastest formulas and algorithms to approximate ##\pi##? Did you even look at the wiki page?
mesa said:No doubt about the power of some of those identities such as Ramanujan's 1/Pi (a personal favorite!) however it is difficult to 'see', even the newbies on PF can agree to that. Providing a simple link to wikipedia and claiming victory is not being scientific.
mesa said:If we all here to just copy and paste wikipedia links then what is the point of PF?