Arctan of Product: How to Rewrite \arctan(a*b) Using the Product Rule?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Niles
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Product
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
Niles
Messages
1,834
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi

Say I have an expression [itex]\arctan(a*b)[/itex]. Is there a product rule for [itex]\arctan[/itex] that I can use to rewrite this? I tried the Wiki-page, but I couldn't find one there.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There are some, Wikipedia lists
$$\arctan \alpha \pm \arctan \beta = \arctan\left( \frac{\alpha \pm \beta}{1 \mp \alpha \beta} \right)$$

Maybe you can ask a slightly more specific question (e.g. if you need this for a bigger problem, what is that problem)?
 
Thanks. OK, so after some calculations I get an expression of the form
[tex] \arctan(\tan(A)B)[/tex]
I wanted to Taylor expand B to first order in order to simplify, but I thought that would only make sense if there was a neat way to express [itex]\arctan[/itex] when its argument is a sum.