Arduino and Chromebook (Plug-in)

• Thread starter RaulTheUCSCSlug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    arduino
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Codebender, a tool that allows users to code for Arduino on a Chromebook. The group shares their experiences with the tool and discusses potential concerns about uploading code to a website. Overall, they are excited about the potential of being able to code on the go and mention the possibility of the Chrome OS offering access to the Play Store in the future.
RaulTheUCSCSlug
Gold Member
Hey for a while I thought that I would have to always lug around my huge HP laptop in order to code for my Arduino... seeing as my slim, sleek, light weight chrome book has an OS that revolves around apps rather than programs. But then found out about a thing called Codebender ( https://codebender.cc/ ) :smile: It allows you to write code for the arduino on your chrome book and upload it even though it utilizes the Chrome OS.

Has anyone ever had any problem with it? Right now I have uploaded some small/simple sketches and seems to work just fine. Has anyone tried any other plug-ins? Does anyone see any apparent flaws that I can not see right now?

Anyways, to be honest, I am just really glad that I am able to write simple sketches on the go more so now and wanted to share that knowledge to anyone else that might have had their doubts of the Chrome OS. Seems that they may be even offering the play store to Chrome OS in the near future! :woot:

Computer science news on Phys.org
In general, I don't like uploading my code to any site because if its important to me or work related then its possible that someone may grab a copy.

Granted its probably very unlikely as my code would probably set civilization back a few decades but genetic paranoia is deep.

However, it does seem like a nice solution to getting arduino code with the possible drawback of getting malware (that paranoia again) in your download but since arduinos are used in fun projects not an issue.

jedishrfu said:
In general, I don't like uploading my code to any site because if its important to me or work related then its possible that someone may grab a copy.

Granted its probably very unlikely as my code would probably set civilization back a few decades but genetic paranoia is deep.

However, it does seem like a nice solution to getting arduino code with the possible drawback of getting malware (that paranoia again) in your download but since arduinos are used in fun projects not an issue.

True, but not much you can do with a hacked Arduino if that's the case. There would be better opportunity with hacking a Raspberry Pi. But I think this is a big step up for the Chrome OS.

1. What is an Arduino?

An Arduino is an open-source electronics platform that uses a microcontroller to control electronic components and devices. It is commonly used in DIY projects, robotics, and other interactive projects.

2. Can I use Arduino with a Chromebook?

Yes, you can use Arduino with a Chromebook by using a plug-in called "Arduino Create" which allows you to program and upload code to your Arduino board directly from your Chromebook.

3. Do I need any special hardware or software to use Arduino on a Chromebook?

To use Arduino on a Chromebook, you will need an Arduino board and a USB cable to connect it to your Chromebook. You will also need to install the "Arduino Create" plug-in on your Chromebook.

4. Are there any limitations when using Arduino on a Chromebook?

There are some limitations when using Arduino on a Chromebook. For example, you may not be able to use certain Arduino boards or shields that require a native USB connection. Additionally, some complex projects may not be possible due to memory limitations on Chromebooks.

5. Can I use Arduino with other Chrome OS devices besides Chromebooks?

Yes, you can use Arduino with other Chrome OS devices such as Chromeboxes and Chromebases. As long as the device supports the "Arduino Create" plug-in, you should be able to program and upload code to your Arduino board.