Dell Inspiron Plugged in, Not Charging

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charging
In summary, the Dell Inspiron with Win 8.1 is plugged in but it is not charging. There are power levels coming in through the outlet, and the power level has remained constant at 7%. If the level were significantly higher, say at least 30%, I would consider restarting. According to system info (Control Panel) , battery is working fine.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
My Dell Inspiron with Win 8.1 is plugged in but it is not charging.
Please see screenshotsof power settings
1)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2149932)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/214994

There was a post on this , but it did not answer the question. I am trying to exhaust software approaches before considering hardware ones.

Thanks.
EDIT: Sorry for not including something clearly relevant issues
1)The battery has charged at times.
2) There is power coming in through the outlet, and the power level has remained constant at 7%. If the
level were significantly higher, say at least 30%, I would consider restarting. According to system info (Control Panel) , battery is working fine.

EDIT2:
3)As in post #5, there is a bizarre issue: When I power on the machine (Win 8.1, Dell Inspiron; using connector to wall outlet) , OS does not boot. Still, if I unplug and replug , system boots up . Any shamans out there willing to help me with this Voodoo?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
The power management settings don't have any option which effectively renders the machine incapable of charging.
I'd say in order of liklihood it's one of three hardware related problems.

1. Battery is dead.
2. The charging unit is dead (could be just a blown fuse).
3. The power lead., or input plug, or socket is damaged.

Likes WWGD and Greg Bernhardt
4. Contacts.

fresh_42 said:
4. Contacts.
Do you mean the power connectors?

rootone said:
The power management settings don't have any option which effectively renders the machine incapable of charging.
I'd say in order of liklihood it's one of three hardware related problems.

1. Battery is dead.
2. The charging unit is dead (could be just a blown fuse).
3. The power lead., or input plug, or socket is damaged.
Sorry, Rootone , I added some things , please see edit.

Sure, contacts were partly what I mean by power plug and socket, but there others.
Contacts on the actual battery can get 'dry' - just removing the battery then putting it back fixes that one.

Likes WWGD
rootone said:
Sure, contacts were partly what I mean by power plug and socket, but there others.
Contacts on the actual battery can get 'dry' - just removing the battery then putting it back fixes that one.
Thanks again. There is also a " Voodoo" issue : Windows (8.1) does not initially boot at all, I just get the DELL seal . But when I unplug and replug, OS does boot up. I can't make sense of this.

WWGD said:
Do you mean the power connectors?
Yes, and at all its levels: wall, line, Dell, and then inside. I know it's unlikely, but not impossible. Just got a new phone because I could have sworn the battery of the old had finally been gone. Too bad, the new one didn't function either. In the end I've found a loosely plug somewhere on the line between the many stations between the wall and the phone: wall - router - splitter - phone. I haven't touched that damn thing for years, so why the ... wasn't it properly plugged in anymore. :mad:

Likes WWGD
Sorry to have bothered you all with this; like I had said : " Voodoo in, Voodoo out" : I unplugged and replugged and now PC is charging; at 19% level, where it was at 7% before.

WWGD said:
Sorry to have bothered you all with this; like I had said : " Voodoo in, Voodoo out" : I unplugged and replugged and now PC is charging; at 19% level, where it was at 7% before.
I've had this issue, with my previous Dell PC. I think it is either related to the aging of the battery, overheating or something else that causes the PC to stop charging or get confused about the charging level. Rebooting usually fixes it.

Likes WWGD
Turn everything off, take battery out, clean contacts if possible, put battery back.
It's worth trying.

1. Why is my Dell Inspiron plugged in but not charging?

There are a few possible reasons for this issue. It could be due to a faulty charging cable or adapter, a problem with the battery or charging port, or a software issue. Try using a different charging cable and adapter, and make sure the charging port is clean and free of debris. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to replace the battery or seek professional help.

2. How do I fix the "plugged in, not charging" issue on my Dell Inspiron?

If the previous troubleshooting steps do not resolve the issue, you can try resetting the laptop's battery settings or updating the BIOS. You can also check for any software updates or run a diagnostic test on the battery. If none of these solutions work, it may be necessary to replace the battery or seek professional help.

3. Can using a non-Dell charger cause the "plugged in, not charging" issue?

Yes, using a charger that is not specifically designed for your Dell Inspiron can cause this issue. It is always recommended to use the charger that came with your laptop or a certified replacement. Using a different charger can damage the battery or cause compatibility issues.

4. Why does my Dell Inspiron say "plugged in, not charging" even when the battery is at a low percentage?

This could be due to a setting in the power management options. Make sure that the "Conservation Mode" or "Battery Charge Threshold" setting is not enabled, as this will prevent the battery from charging until it reaches a certain level. You can also try resetting the battery settings or updating the BIOS.

5. Can I still use my Dell Inspiron while it is plugged in but not charging?

Yes, you can still use your laptop while it is plugged in but not charging. However, this is not a sustainable solution as it may cause the battery to drain faster. It is important to address the underlying issue to ensure the proper functioning of your laptop's battery and overall performance.